• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WR450 for a snobike??

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Found a 07 WR450 Supermoto that well setup with alot of extrason Craigslist, and its titled and registered for road use. If i do get the bike, i would like to persue putting a snowbike kit on it, i really like the timbersled kits. I live in Maine and would mostlikely be one of the only people in the state with something like.
My question:
A) Wr450 a good bike for a Snowbike?
B) How much work needs to be done to the bike? (besides jetting)
C) would it be reasonable to use it in the summer and then convert it in the winter, and vice versa, or is it to much work.
D) Regestration, can you register a dirtbike as snowmobile?
Again i live in Maine, I've never even heard of snowbikes making it this far east, so i think i would be cool to be one of the first...

Found a 07 WR450 Supermoto that well setup with alot of extrason Craigslist, and its titled and registered for road use. If i do get the bike, i would like to persue putting a snowbike kit on it, i really like the timbersled kits. I live in Maine and would mostlikely be one of the only people in the state with something like.
My question:
C) would it be reasonable to use it in the summer and then convert it in the winter, and vice versa, or is it to much work.
Again i live in Maine, I've never even heard of snowbikes making it this far east, so i think i would be cool to be one of the first...

A yes it will do fine
B get your intake set up with a pod filter or seal up the air box and put some frogskinz style covers over the intakes . Some snow shielding made out of plastic
C super easy to convert 2 hours either swap maybey 3-4 your first time , use it all year round no problem

D I don't know

E Timbersled makes the best kit , but that's for deep snow , you might get away with a 2 moto or another make of conversion kit as I'm sure you won't see much for mountain riding , a used 2 moto kit could be picked up for cheap . If you did get a Timbersled a short track would be more than enough. I've only risen the Timbersled but you should know thesis kits arnt that fun on trails , not sure what your riding area is like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ What he said. I think on flat ground the wr would make a great snow bike. If you're climbing big country, you need a close ratio trans imo. The timbersled is more for mountains, but the sx kit may be something you would want to look into.

WR``

I ran an wr 450 08 for 2 seasons and a 2012 FI wr last season. I loved it!! As above, jetting, airbox mods and go. I sold my original mh kit last month and am waiting for delivery of my 2014 kit.
I would argue the wide ratio thought, I have had no issues running agaisnt yz, ktm or kx.
This summer I put on a full exhaust, yz cam, ecu and can hardly wait to see how that works with kit. It was an animal with wheels so hope it rips up the snow.

Do it, you will not regret it

I have an older WR and couldn't be happier. While a close-ratio tranny might be ideal, I sure haven't felt like it has hampered me. And having a bike that's easily made street-legal in the summer is worth the small trade-off to me.

I didn't have a problem with registration in Minnesota. Bring in all info on sale of kit and register under a timbersled. The kit has a serial number and I used that. My bike has a plate, off road trail sticker, and snowmobile reg. Wr would work fine.

I put an ST on my '07 plated WR this year and it's been great. Didn't even have to change the jetting. Had it over 8000ft in -15C weather, ran fine. Just do the basic mods & RIDE IT!

My question:

For Maine I would absolutely get a WR, perfect for trails and low elevation off trail, even out west they are not bad just gotta learn the bikes limits and ride to them. I am in MN and I had a 03 WR for a few years and here it was the perfect bike, hand warmers, lights, e start, good trail speeds and rpm range, bullet proof engine!

Jetting and maybe carb heat or shrouds around the engine to keep it warmer

yes its only a 2 hours to switch, less time once you get it down!

In minnesota, yes,its perfectly legal, as long as you keep you mouth shut, the old lady behind the desk at the DMV will never understand what a snowbike is lol:face-icon-small-ton

it is cool to be the first one, I was one of the first in my area, and people are blown away!

check out the kits that I have been designing and building, I currently have 4 on the snow and I have 2 more left for this year, I am building one right now for a WR!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TK-Specialties-LLC/116340535141650

rmzfrontright.jpg IMG_1772.jpeg

w i d e ratio vx close ratio

I have both and ridden both in several brands of bikes.

For me comes down to versatitlity just like a bike.

If you drive right up to the chutes and big country and start climbing right from the truck the close ratio is tough to beat.

If you unload and ride up the canyon headed for bigger country , for me the close ratio is very annoying because of lack of top end, when conditions are right its nice to loaf along at 50mph without having to rev the snot out of the bike.
Vega and I sometimes want to go 10 or 15 miles over to another riding area, nice to be able to click 5th and cruise along.

In tight woods riding the granny gear in my wr can be a life saver when you need easy walking speed grunt.

Without a lot of gearing options go close ratio. On the kits we've built and and having near unlimited gearing options , you can gear so the three fairly close ratio gears in the middle of the wide ratio tranny gives you the steep and deep good track speed pulling , and still have a cruising gear on top and walking speed gear in the bottom.

maybe wide ratio......old guys close ratio .........fur kids

IMO the WR is far to tame, I've never ridden a Snowbike on a wr but I have ridden one on the trail in the summer and they are to lumbering and over weight.

C super easy to convert 2 hours either swap maybey 3-4 your first time , use it all year round no problem

Still laughing over this one. It took me longer than that to bleed my brakes. Mine is a dedicated snow machine now. I'm not mechanically inept, I could change over my atv from tracks to tires and back in less than an hour, but the bike is far too much work to do twice a year for me.

Still laughing over this one. It took me longer than that to bleed my brakes. Mine is a dedicated snow machine now. I'm not mechanically inept, I could change over my atv from tracks to tires and back in less than an hour, but the bike is far too much work to do twice a year for me.

Yeah its not bad. A large medical syringe making the bleed process last about 5 min. All told it took me 2.5 hours the first time. and that only because you have to drill on the front spindle, and pressing the chain together took a little bit of time.

Im guessing it will take me an hour and half the next time both on and off

I too am really warming up to the idea of a WR450 as well.

It's the versatility that is really appealing to me. To be able to easily make the bike street legal and ride it bike in the summer as a supermoto, use it as a lightweight adventure tourer, ride the trails with my kids and then be able to slap a snowbike kit on it in the winter, the bike truly becomes an all season machine.

Yup, it's not quite as light as a YZ but, pretty much all the YZ go fast stuff bolts right on to the WR is you are so inclined. Oh but that versatility.....

Now, if I could just figure out how to afford a 2012 or newer fuel injected model AND a Mountain Horse ST kit......

It all comes down to personal preference. Most any bike out there could probably make a good snowbike... it's just what are your plans? Can you afford a dedicated summer bike and snowbike? If not then you have to start looking at wide ratio options like the WR/XCW/CRF-R/KLX etc or possibly into options like Randy's very awesome 300 EXC.

I have been able to make my race bikes work for me in the woods in the past, but my new SX-F is just a dog in the woods due to the suspension and motor characteristics. In the winter the bike is an animal on the snow when setup properly. But now that I have a bike again the summer use is becoming more and more important each year. Do I spend the cash and invest in a proper suspension on my race KTM or do I bite the bullet and buy a 2nd bike just for the summer?

Truth be told I also want a 2nd snowbike so I can take more friends out (and eventually convert them off their snowmobiles). I did enjoy the WR I had for my first year but it just lacked the quick revs for me personally. But I think the WR and it's ilk would make a great 2nd snowbike for friends and then a great woods bike.

Decisions decisions.... just make sure you don't hold off on a snowbike because you can't find the PERFECT bike the first time. Your needs will most likely evolve and you'll probably want something different the next year anyways. It's happened to me 3 times already lol.

Your too late to be the first one in Maine, waiting on 4 kits to be delivered to Woodys in Topsham hopefuly by next thursday.

The WR works just fine. Had a 08 and now a 2012 with a yosh pipe on the SX kit.
The wide ratio gear box suits trail riding with sleds well. The yosh pipe made a huge power improvement.

We have lots of snow about 3 feet of fluff did about 30-40 miles this afternoon most on loose snow trails and then braking trail for 10 miles. Braking trail was to hard for the sleds so they followed the bike :face-icon-small-ton

The 07 WR needs heavy fork springs -- snow bikes are heavy on the frond end.

The SX kit or St. kit with the Snowhawk track work best in the trails the new ski with the dual skag is a must for any kit period.

Have fun with the WR

For mostly trail work I would not shy away from a 2Moto kit (with the updated rails) if you have lots of un-groomed deep snow Power lines and meadows Timbersled for sure.

Premium Features

Back