• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Won't Rev -- Throttle safety switch?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
I fired up my sled today for various reasons; I have stuff to do to it and wanted to move it back in the trailer to reach another sled, among other things. Anyway.. late last season I installed a Munster Finger Throttle on it. Then I missed the last ride of the season due to illness. Turns out that was a good thing, because when I give it throttle to make it go, it just sounds like it's bouncing off the rev limiter (at 3000 rpm or so) and never gets enough RPM to engage the belt.

When I installed the new throttle, I cut the wire off of the throttle safety switch on the old throttle and soldered the ends together. I thought this was the fix for that. I then tried cutting the wires so they were open, and that didn't do it either.

What do I need to do to fix this?? Good thing I didn't go last year because I would have never been able to load the sled into my truck for the drive. I remember testing it last year but I guess I didn't rev it enough to see if it actually moved. Hmm.

The finger throttle should have come with a TSS bypass switch. That is your problem, you need that plug as it has a resister in it to fool the ecu

Where do I get these plugs? I don't remember it coming with one. In any case, I'm putting the old throttle back on because the sled is for sale. I guess I'll reconnect the TSS. Alternately, anybody know what the resistor value is? It's times like this I miss Radio Shack.

Edit: I guess I could check the value by putting my meter on the actual TSS....

Second Edit: I did. With the switch out (as in throttle open) it reads 2140 ohms. With it IN (throttle closed) the meter sayd 6.2kohm (which sounds like 6200 ohms to me, why couldn't it just say that?)

Last edited:
The bypass plug goes where your original throttle block was plugged into under your hood on the clutch side. Munster sells the TSS bypass plug seperately. I have bought 3 munster throttles and all came with the TSS bypass plug

Thanks. I'll look around and see if I can find mine. I put everything back together, re-soldered the TSS on, and now the sled won't run unless I hold the little button down. Grr. What a pain in the butt.

Edit: Found it! Now as soon as I'm done working on this old King Cat, I can reposition the Khaos so I can get to the clutch side.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back