• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wiring a Battery In

I am deciding to put a battery on my sled and was looking for ways people have wired it in, i want to wire it in with the key, so when the key is on the battery is engaged and my a/f, boost, and egt gauges all run off the battery. I have purchased an ac/dc converter to charge the battery hopefully. Was wondering how people have done it.

This is on a 2004 F7 firecat, the same as the M7's.

the key works a closure.. so if you unplug it your sled still runs. You cant use the stock switch to operate both a battery power on and a closure loop for the stock kill circuit. You need a key switch from a sled with electric start that has several curcuits. You will also need a couple of 6 amp diodes wired in parallel to get to 12 amp diode so you dont back feed your charge source/stator. I put my battery in the foot rest area by the back up beaper and used the yelow and black accessory plug by the steering post to charge the system.. the diode is a radio shack part number # 276-1661 and the propper dc adapter is a arctic cat part # 5639-258 I fired it up today and it had 12.8 at idle to the battery.. before the dc adapter i could never get above 10.6 volts..

Jim

Last edited:
so, if i got a key switch from a sabercat with electric start and so on it should work?

I have a ac/dc rectifier to use to convert AC to DC for charging the battery, i would need to put the diode between the battery and the rectifier to stop the battery from feeding the system backwards correct? To make it a one way valve type deal where power goes in the battery through the rectifier, but can't go out when turned off?

The rectifier is 3 amp max output, would that fry when trying to charge the battery?

I was looking at maybe getting a new stator from the 07+ 600cc engines, but dont know if i need new wiring harness and so on with the new stator? How does that work?

i know the wifes 2010 m6 with cat electric start charges at 13+ volts at idle. i could take a look at the hookup and see whats all installed.

the key has to do the work of shutting off the system. And you will have to remember to SHUT IT OFF or it will slowly drain it. the diode is there just when the key is on and engine is not running. Almost all diodes still back feed a very small amount. the ones i posted back feed about 2/3 of a volt.. but they are very reliable and dont need a huge heat sink plate to run them. Now most rectifiers have a volt loss when installed.. some loose 1 volt some loose 1.3 and if your barely at charging volts before the rectifier the rectifier will hurt you and you'll most likely be below your target volts of 13.5 for charging or maintaining. also note that a rectifier only takes power from one side of the ac pulse wave.. so if what ever you are adding to your sled drains the circuit below you'll have to pull power from more spots off of your stator..so does your sled have a back up beaper? the red wires on it are 12vdc. Your sled should have a dc circuit for the fuel pump and the back up beaper..Get your power from there for a charging circuit with out using a volt robbing rectifier. I am not familiar with your stator, so it may have some differences from the newer stuff i am working on.

Jim

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back