• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Willow-Hatchers Pass

P
Mar 22, 2008
Long time reader first time poster. Thought I would give everyone a quick update for the Willow-Hatchers Pass area, and start a thread for that location. A bunch of us went back there today, and it still needs a bit more snow. There was about a good foot of heavy wet snow on top of a sugar crust in most places. A lot of hilltops are windblow, but we still managed to find quite a few places to get stuck down in the gullies. Hope you don't mind the pic Klunka :)

1208_0431.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: akmc800
A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I was up there also. Played out the bever ponds at the base of Dogsled and it was good. Still lots of rocks showing on the front side of Dogsled so we didnt go up. It needs a few more feet. People have been going up, but A arms are not cheap, so I'll wait. You can find good snow up there though.

N
Dec 8, 2007
East Side A-Town
I rode the Nancy Lake area today with the wife and kiddo. Lots of overflow on the lake, about 8-12" of fresh wet snow on the top in some spots. Still need alot more snow in the area. Resorted to banging ditches and played by the highway. Crap viz, of fog/ice/mist all day

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
We stuck around the Willow area also. Rode the Rolly creek trail down to the river. Most of the swamps are still untouched with about 2'. Made it to the mouth of the Mat Su and turned back too much outflow and fog. Return trip was a disaster. Mangaged to sprain/break one of my toes, my kid blew out the chaincase on the 600, and broke my tailight towing locked up Doo. Damn near threw out my back trying to drag her onto the trailer. Don't know what was worse, breaking my Doo's or losing my job Friday:eek:. Oh well tommorow will be a better day...

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
We stuck around the Willow area also. Rode the Rolly creek trail down to the river. Most of the swamps are still untouched with about 2'. Made it to the mouth of the Mat Su and turned back too much outflow and fog. Return trip was a disaster. Mangaged to sprain/break one of my toes, my kid blew out the chaincase on the 600, and broke my tailight towing locked up Doo. Damn near threw out my back trying to drag her onto the trailer. Don't know what was worse, breaking my Doo's or losing my job Friday:eek:. Oh well tommorow will be a better day...

:eek:With the prices for parts at AMDS id put my money on breaking your Doos being worse:D

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
:eek:With the prices for parts at AMDS id put my money on breaking your Doos being worse:D

Amen to that brother:D...parts to replace AMDS 437.00, online classifieds 100.00. If it wasn't for sites like craigslist or forum want ads we wouldn't be riding...

Dec 3, 2007
new reports?

Trying to decide where to go Friday- has anyone riden the Willow side recently? How are the conditions and snow depths? Thanx

S
Dec 30, 2007
AK
A different perspective

I had to post my pix, cause the one one top doesn't do justice!:) willow did get about 6-8 in. more snow since our first ride there. some of it is getting wind blown now.20081206_01.jpg

20081206_05.jpg

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
What? Can't believe it if I saw it twice in the same thread, an XP stuck on its azz. Thought those things rocked and were the lightest things on snow?

Premium Features