• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why no 3.0" pitch driver option for Mountain Horse? Is 2.86" Really Better?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My Mountain Horse kit is a 2012 model and still has 2.52" pitch drivers, which limits track selection dramatically. My snowbike came with a pretty chewed up 121 x 1.75" and is currently equipped with a well used 136 x 2" track (however, it looks like it's installed backward). I guess if I stuck with the 2.52" drivers I could maybe go to a 141" or see if you could find a 141 x 2.5"?

The new Timbersled kits have a 2.86" pitch drivers which is also somewhat limiting as far as track selection goes. However, a 146 x 2.5" track does sound appealing for the deep stuff but, maybe a little long?

I'm wondering why I couldn't press off my 2.52" drivers and put on some 7 tooth 3.0" drivers and add a 141" x 2.25" Powerclaw. I wish there was a 141" x 2.6" Powerclaw but, I don't think there is one. Are there short 3.0" pitch tracks with 3" paddles?

What is the best track option for the steep and deep stuff?

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
aren't u supposed to be out riding? haha just giving u a hard time! you should be able to install whatever drivers u want that fit the shaft. As a very smart guy I know reminded me once "give to Caesar what belongs to Caeser" in other words I would stick with what timbersled recommends. I think its because the proprietary track 137" and whatever the short is works out with that pitch driver. sorry to respond but I'm broken down today so I'm posting more than normal!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
pitch and track and no gas

I'm posting in the afternoon cause we burned all our gas by 1:30.

been looking at the track issue thinking something could always be better.

check the pclaw, I like it on my sled, but when you trim off the edges looks like your going to end up with nothing but straight paddles, I bet that would be slippery.

we found on our MHcopies that it is better to run anti ratchet drivers and a good loose track, so got to make sure drivers are available.

I think a 3. pitch with single ply 2.5 track would be great, light track, more better traction............so what track do I buy.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good point on the Powerclaw fingers all being sawed off in a snowbike application.

I'm not sure what track to use other than a 2.5" Camo Extreme or the PEAK track? It's hard to beat a Camo Extreme on a sled but, I haven't considered how much would be lost by trimming off the edges of the track.

Is there clearance to run a 3" tall track? If so, what's the shortest track length available?

Wouldn't a 12" wide x 136" x 2.5" Camo Extreme be great?

I though the advantage of going from a 2.52" pitch track to a 3.0" pitch track was the weight savings from having less paddles and track driver lugs? Is the 2.86" pitch the happy medium?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
rubber war

when I emailed tracks usa, they didn't have anything to offer in 2.5 3. pitch in a moderate length if I recall. going to research what sleds might come with shorter tracks tall lug.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
dont recall the number off the top of my head but there is a 16x137x2.3" unit that tracks usa offers and you can have it cut down to 12.5" for $100 more. its a 2.86 and a few guys have done them as a custom LT upgrade they put together.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Now we're talking!

This is exactly what I am talking about "there is a 16x137x2.3". Having the ability to run this track (if it works well) might be a very good reason to go to a 2.86" pitch.

So, I am guessing Camoplast never made a 2.52" pitch 136 x 2.5" Camo Extreme track?

Has any one tried a 2.25" Finger track on a snowbike? There was a time when I really loved finger tracks not so many years ago.

Finger Track.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features