• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's rode Southfork Snow River?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Just want to know what its like. I drive past all the time and heard it can be awesome if you know where to go.

It can be. the trip from the highway, back to the moutians can be and is often brutal. The river never really freezes up well. You have to cross it many times and you can prtty much count on getting wet. On thing I want to say about this one. We worked really hard to keep this area open!!! This was on the list to be shut down forever. The FS granted us the corridor to get to the back country beyond where the skiers play. Idea is that for the most part, The sleds all go in for about an hour window in the morning, and all come out at dark. Please stay on the trail and move on back to the great riding we have back there. Don't sit and tear up all the swamps by the road for hours irratating the skiers, and tearing up the areas that they can play in. I hope you guys can see where I am coming from on this one. It took alot of people talking on this issue to keep it open for the benefit of all. I applaude the FS for being open minded enough to listen to our concerns and not shut us out completely like they were going to do.

R

RamrodAK1

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Thanks a lot ultrarider. How far back is it to the good riding. And I totally agree with respect issues with our lands. If you ever hike over to the other side of turnagain in the summer it looks like a trash dump.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I'm really suprised that they opened it! I would wait for more snow if I were you. It is going to be some major bushwacking trying to get up there now. I went up Johnson Pass Sunday, and if the Snow river is anything like that forget it for now. I am headed for Lost Lake with the masses this weekend.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
Utrrarider is right. Wait for more snow to get in. The back way from the end of Bear Lake provides for less water crossings but isn't used as often as the highway route. The Snow River drainage is native land (private property) and has been closed to motorized traffic for a couple of years now. No hunting in the vally for the big bears & moose.

Abuse of the area and creating hate & discontent with the public could easily close off that access route.

It is raining in Seward now so any traffic to Lost Lake will be slippery this weekend

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Utrrarider is right. Wait for more snow to get in. The back way from the end of Bear Lake provides for less water crossings but isn't used as often as the highway route. The Snow River drainage is native land (private property) and has been closed to motorized traffic for a couple of years now. No hunting in the vally for the big bears & moose.

Abuse of the area and creating hate & discontent with the public could easily close off that access route.

It is raining in Seward now so any traffic to Lost Lake will be slippery this weekend

akpolaris, I hate to say it but if I'm not mistaken, they have taken away the back way in for you guys in Seward. Check this out.http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/news_releases/kenai_workshop/pdf-2007/kwa_public_map.pdf

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
You may be right. The Iditarod Trail looks like it is non motorized as well. It may be time to calll the FS every time that we see a cross country skier and complain that the "shooshing' sound is disturbing mthe enjoyment of the "outdoor experience"

Premium Features