• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who is running a tial housing on there sled

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
So I am trying to figure out what housing is the best for our elevation, riding style, turbo specs.. I am running a 09 m1000 with a gt3071r full size with a tial 1.06 housing and external wastegate. We ride 3-7 k and run the stock pipe with a 2 in od stinger into the turbo. My sled doesn't seem very explosive out of the hole.... it comes on smooth like a stocker and then pulls.. Not pull your arms off feeling thou. I am wondering what would happen if I switched the turbine housing to a tial .82
Is that .82 too small for the 1000 motor? Would that increase the explosive feeling that its missing??

Thanks

Is anyone running a 1.06 housing? tial or garrett? Has anyone tied a twin scroll housing with a spool aid? Can anyone tell me if the location of the connection to the pipe is the same from the 1.06 to the smaller .82? I figure the exhaust will be centered, I just wonder it I will have to reweld my pipe elbow to the turbo..

You didn't mention your boost levels but the .82 would be good, 1.06 is often used on T1200's. And I believe they are a direct swap.

You mentioned the exhaust stinger connecting to the turbo, Did you have a turbo builder change the pipe or did you just change it? That stinger plays an important role and could be part of your problem.

So what I did was buy a used kit from a t1200.. but the guy said it would work great.. I also bought the ovs pipe and y pipe.. the ovs 1000 pipe had a 2.25 od stinger/ elbow. I recently put the stock pipe back on and changed or cut off the stock elbow and put a 2 in od stinger elbow. last year it was stock motor.. this year its a linerman ported, cut cylinders, head cut and a stock pipe. I want to run 9-10 lbs and want it to pull my arms off.. what do I need to do? besides turn the boost up :)

p rocks,,
the housings are a direct swap. no way you would need a 1.0 ar for a 1000.NO WAY> under 25 psi..over that maybe but under ,, uh,,no.

dropping the ar will cure your ills. but reality is the 71 compressor is to small and part of the issue. for the mountain guys i suggest a 1 7/8 stinger to help with heat loss from lower airflow but stinger diameter increases always HELP low end response not hurt it. tighter stingers WILL hurt low end response from choking airflow below the pipes working rpm window.

the tial housings are very good at directing flow for response, pricey but very good.
just helping some friends finish a 900 cc t cat triple piped trail turbo for sea level . Should be up and running late today..its a cool project that will live 20 psi or less for the remainder of this season..

gtx 3582, .84 ar. boost comes up with throttle movement from 4500 rpm.
cats love 3582's
gus.bohne@comcast.net . email me directly I have some other info for you.

When I mentioned the stinger I was referring to how far it protrudes into the expansion part of the pipe. With it flush mounted it seemed to have a negative effect for everything except WOT. I ended up with it protruding around 2" into the pipe. And that's where I left it because it "felt" best. Gus what is your take on the stinger length? For the mountains not 25psi :face-icon-small-hap

The best thing to do is put a fitting on your pipe center section and monitor your back pressure based on housing changes.
Many variables in BP.

I got that .82 on over the weekend.. it was a direct swap.. i hope to get out next week and give it a spin. When i added the 90 to the stock pipe the stinger didnt protruded in to the pipe at all.. so i cut it off at the 1 7/8 od and welded the 2 inch od over the top. I have seen the speedwerx pipe have the protrusion 2 inches in the cone. Is this a must? Alot of guys say No.
Thanks for all you help everyone
and i will call you on mon gus

Well I got to ride the .82 housing and it was definitely better. The thing explodes now. It had a weird issue now its falling on its face on full throttle after 7-8 seconds. Its a definite fall on its face at 70 mph.. Nothin like flying over the bars at 50.. I thought I ran it too lean and then I cranked up the boost 2 psi and it was better from 10-12. It seemed to fix the falling on its face. If your too rich will it burn the fuel or will it eventually make it fall on its face after 7-8 seconds?

I also am having another issue.. Its making boost on the trail at 5000 rpms cruising down the trail 800 rpms sooner than the 1.06 housing.. So now I have a lean spot on cruise and cant seem make it rich enough for the trail and then hit the trees where its not on boost at 5000 in the trees.. How are you guys getting around this?

Premium Features

Back