• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Belt - OEM or Aftermarket?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
What's the deal with aftermarket belts vs OEM - the aftermarket belts seem to fit way more models/years per belt number than the OEM?

For example -
I have a 95 & a 99 Summit for backup sleds and I need a belt for the 95.

According to Shade Tree, the 95-99 Summits all use the same belt. It also shows there are numerous other Doos thru 2003 that use that exact same belt. These are Dayco, Gates and Kimpex belts.

When I went to a OEM Doo parts web site, it shows at least 3 different belt numbers for the 95-99 Summits, plus other belt numbers for the newer sleds.

It seems like certain sleds like different belts, its a weird thing, but they do, mine really likes the ultimax 3s i have a couple hundred miles on one of em and it looks great. i had a stock on that blew up going down the trail so i descided to go aftermarket and really like it.

The factory belts are patented. The aftermarket cannot duplicate the exact dimensions of the factory belt, so they can make one belt that is real close to the specs of several factory belts and then have a "one belt does it all". The small changes in dimension are not a big deal. Then there are different compounds used by the factory for different sleds, where the aftermarket has one compound for a particular series of belt.

I have not had good luck with aftermarket belts, they dont seem to perform as well as the stock Doo belt. And leave lots more belt gunk stuck to my clutch sheaves. Dino

Premium Features

Back