• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to ride?

jasonkawczynski

Premium Member
We are planning a trip out to Colorado area at the end of this month. Looking for any recommendations on where we could ride that is also close to a ski area. Most of our group is riding but we have two that are coming just to snowboard.

We would like to stay somewhere that we can ride out of town from. Already been to Grand Lake so looking to try somewhere new that can keep us busy for three days of riding.

Heard that Winter Park/Fraser area you can ride in and out of town to get gas/food/etc. but there are little details online about the trails in that area.

The following week we are going to the Snowies in Wyoming so planning on hitting up Steamboat for a days ride on way up there. Doesnt look like you can ride out of town there but from what I heard, its somewhere that we should really stop for a day.

Clark looks interesting. Were hoping for a little bigger of a town with some places for evening food and drinks.

Yea I heard that Winter Park/Fraser isnt very snowmobile friendly per the chamber of commerce. She thought sleds were limited to the unplowed roads and cant access the town businesses.

Any other suggestions for ride in/out places to go?

most places are probably better to trailer based on your requirements, depending on what's more important.

if you want a larger city with a resort, you probably aren't sledding from town (outside of granby/grand lake).

grand mesa has thundermountain lodge and powderhorn ski resort fairly close by. but no city to speak of (mesa doesn't really count).

vail pass has several ski resorts, but only a couple sled in sled out locations (that aren't really in a sizeable town).

steamboat is probably another good option as stated above. can use the buff pass trailhead area or go a little further north.

either way, i'd save sled gas and trailer if it's an option.

So I called the forestry dept and they said Winter Park does not allow snowmobile traffic on the street but Fraser does, to access the local businesses. An excerpt from their ordinances-

"
Fraser: Snowmobiles are allowed on the streets and alleys of Fraser, as a means of getting to and from the town.
Snowmobiles shall not be operated on the streets and alleys for recreational purposes, or for any other purpose not
specifically authorized in the town’s ordinance.

Winter Park: No snowmobiles are allowed on town streets.

"

They provided me this map link which shows the trails and routes that allow snowmobiles.

https://headwaterstrails.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/HTA_Map_East.pdf

So it looks like Fraser is the winner for us, looking forward to checking out a new area. Thanks for all the input everyone!

I sure wouldn't want to ride any of the roads out of Fraser. But good luck and post to let us know how it turns out. Hope you have a good time.

I sure wouldn't want to ride any of the roads out of Fraser. But good luck and post to let us know how it turns out. Hope you have a good time.

I would also like to hear how your trip turns out in Fraser. Fraser doesn't really have a reputation as a 'snowmobile town' although there are trails and places to ride there. If your trip goes well, it would certainly change my opinion of Fraser being a mostly ski town.

Yes, Fraser is the BEST place for out of state folks to ride. Please help get the word out to other CO visitors........

Last edited:
Yes, Fraser is the BEST place for out of state folks to ride. Please help get the word out to other CO visitors........

this made me laugh after i read your status!!

Currently: "friends dont let friends ride Fraser!"

We need to do our part and promote Fraser as the out-of-state rider snowmobile Capital of Colorado with apologies to Grand Lake :face-icon-small-ton

LOL...some of the sarcasm here went over my head.

I can tell you that I have ridden both Grand Lake and Snowies (among many other places) which is where everyone tells "Out of town" visitors to go. Way too much traffic for my liking.

So im not understanding if you guys are truly saying that Fraser will really suck or just are trying to funnel us towards the rest of the masses and keep the secret spots to the local riders.

When we are with a group and some in the group cant ride for crap, its really important that we can ride out of our lodging area so when they have enough, they can go home and not bring everyone back with them if we have to trailer home.

I'm not worried one bit about running my sled down a bit of plowed roads to do so if necessary.

How about Crested Butte? You can leave your sleds at the Kebler Pass trail head and friends can ski nearby at the ski resort? Another option is to sled the backside of Cottonwood Pass, leave your sleds ( locked up of course) at Taylor Park Trading post and it is a short drive to Crested Butte.

Good luck and please do share your vacation experienced after you are done.

Glen Eden Resort or Hahns Peak Roadhouse!

Here is a thought for you. Glen Eden Resort in Clark or Hahns Peak Roadhouse. You legally can ride from the Glen up Seedhouse road to the National Forest. With 5' of snow in the last 9 days it can be done. We always trailer. Hahn's Peak Road House true ride in ride out. Only 18 miles from downtown Steamboat. I am partial to the Glen as my wife and I bought a condo last year. Lost Dog condo. I am headed out that way Jan. 25th-30th.

Premium Features

Back