• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to Ride? Coming from Iowa

P

prosledder

Hi everybody! Since we have zero snow in Iowa a couple of us are thinking about coming to Minnesota to ride for a day and mess around but not sure where to go. It looks like West of the cities have the most snow. Looking to ride ditches and maybe some trails, etc. Also, what should we do for MN registration? Buy a trail pass? Thanks in advance for any info! If easier you could call or text my cell phone 515-298-1374.

Thanks--Mike

Hi everybody! Since we have zero snow in Iowa a couple of us are thinking about coming to Minnesota to ride for a day and mess around but not sure where to go. It looks like West of the cities have the most snow. Looking to ride ditches and maybe some trails, etc. Also, what should we do for MN registration? Buy a trail pass? Thanks in advance for any info! If easier you could call or text my cell phone 515-298-1374.

Thanks--Mike

My buddy grooms and was out today. The groomer in the kimball are ran today as well. If you run the ditches watch for landmines. Sled tracks are sinking to the bottom but the cold weather is setting it up some. No trail permit required. Just registration from Iowa. Good luck and enjoy. I would offer to show you some of trail riding tomorrow but I am taking my 5yr old son out. May ride on Wednesday though depending on how it is tomorrow

Up by North branch (hay days) has 17in but here in alexandria we got 12ish and it set up quite good. anywhere with 10 plus is going to ride the same as its all sugar. I have to run to Hutchinson tomorrow ill stop a few times on the way and check the conditions

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Boone...which is right in the middle by Ames (Iowa State University).
Alright I know exactly where your at my buddy lives in that area
If I were you then I would hop on 35 and head to the north branch area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Alright I know exactly where your at my buddy lives in that area
If I were you then I would hop on 35 and head to the north branch area.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I'll let my buddies know and see what they say. I've passed by there several times on the way to Cable, WI. We can get to Forest Lake around 4 hours so that will be about perfect.

I think you might be wrong? you do need a out of state trail pass according to this google search i found.

Its worth a call to confirm.

http://mnsnowmobiler.org/index.php?pageid=99

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/snowmobile/index.html

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Really? I definately could be wrong. We got stopped late last year by dnr and I didn't have any numbers or stickers on my hood. We had just got back from cooke and I was doing some ditch riding testing out some mods I had made to my sled. Still had my mnt hood on. I was ticketed. Asked him about that very thing. He claimed out of state riders just need to meet their own registration requirements and have valid identification. It certainly could have changed since then or he may not have known the specific law... Definately worth checking in too though.

The DNR site was down when i posted the link but its up now.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/snowmobile/trailpermit.html

You out of state guys DO NEED a trail pass sticker.

A snowmobile that is not registered in the state of MN may not be operated on a state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trail unless a snowmobile state trail sticker is affixed to the snowmobile. A snowmobile state trail sticker costs $36.00 and is valid from November 1 through June 30.

Four ways to get a trail sticker:
1.Go to an Electronic License System agent.
(Find an ELS agent online or by calling 1-888-MINNDNR.)

2.Call (888) 665-4236
(Visa, MasterCard, or Discover cards accepted. An additional convenience fee is added for sales via Web site or telephone (see web site for details).
3.Use the DNR online licensing system.

4.Go to the DNR Central Office in St. Paul
License Center
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
Directions

trail pass

Yes, you need current IA regisration on your sled and a MN Trail pass. This is the same if a MN sled goes to IA. Need current home state regisration and a trail pass for the state you are riding in!

snow is melting fast, we started at almost 18 inches and It's down to 12 inches right now Been 35-40 degrees most of the week

Last edited:
its only about an hour n a half for me and i wanna just get a few miles on some new parts before i go west ward do you think it would be worth it ditches trails?

here's what the trails look like in forest lake, 20 miles south of north branch.

ditches are full of snow and some are tore up good, it would be good enough to scratch that itch.

4aru6u2a.jpg

Last edited:
it's been raining all night, this weather sucks. 37 degrees right now

Premium Features

Back