• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where and when to ride in Alaska

My wife and I are planning a trip for our 10 year in Oct of 2010. Is Oct a good time to ride in Alaska, and where should we go? All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Sometime's it's rideable in october, but I wouldn't count on it. Late february or early march would be a better choice, are you bringing up your own sleds or flying in, and what type of riding are you looking for?

Still maybe planning a scenic trip to Alaska, just wondering if riding was possible and where would be the best place. We would rent if we could find snow and rentals at that time of the year.

If you're set on october I'd say Valdez is your best bet. They usually get snow early and have rentals and guides. It's also very scenic.

Imho......

Your chances of finding snow and/or a rental in Oct are slim to none. Alaska is beautiful in Oct with fall colors though. Rent wheelers?

If you are coming to snowmobile I agree with ICR, plan your trip for March or April. Spring here has the best snow, daylight and temps.

So when you say march or april what is the temp difference to october? So when i think of Alaska being cold and snow all the time its's not true then?

Temps would be about the same for oct and march, march being a little warmer and more sun. But it usually doesn't start snowing until october so you don't have much base. March it's still snowing on top of everything else that's come down all winter. April it stops snowing and turns to wet snow with the warmer temps and longer daylight.

"So when i think of Alaska being cold and snow all the time it's not true then?"
Hey, half the fun of living here in Alaska is the stereotype that we get from people in the lower 48. I personally live in a 2 story igloo and drive the dog sled to work in July. I have a pet moose and my son is half Eskimo. Actually, that last one is true. There is no bad time to visit Alaska, except maybe January, and there is no bad place in Alaska to visit, except maybe Bethel. One could ride in Barrow in October but if it were me I would go halibut fishing in Valdez and then try Thompson Pass for sledding.

:beer;:beer;;)

Premium Features

Back