• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to get? 2012 Summit X 800 or 2012 Pro Rmk 800

S
What do you guys think Skidoo or Polaris? I dont have a "reliable or good dealer" nearby for either sled so no matter which brand i get, if i have warranty issues i'll have to haul it about 230 miles. I really dont want to be hauling my brand new sled to the dealer this winter. Whats the best option for me and what do you guys like 155/154 or 163 inch track?

Thanks, Steven

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
If you have a chance ride them both. Then get which one feels more comfortable to you.

S
well they'll probably both feel wierd to me, i've been riding an 03 rmk 800 151 since 2004 so thats about the only thing i know. im just worried about break downs. Anyone out there have problems with the 2011 pro or 11 X last year?

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Your kinda fishin here but, since I have been reading about the etec's they really have not had any problems to speak of. Now I have not ever looked in to the pro's so I cann't speak for them. But just remember which ever one you buy doesn't mean that it won't break down. But I bet you will be very happy with what ever brand your going to buy just because your coming off a old polaris.:becky:

S
Your kinda fishin here but, since I have been reading about the etec's they really have not had any problems to speak of. Now I have not ever looked in to the pro's so I cann't speak for them. But just remember which ever one you buy doesn't mean that it won't break down. But I bet you will be very happy with what ever brand your going to buy just because your coming off a old polaris.:becky:

Oh yeah i bet anything would be a world of difference in riding style between my 03 and these new ones. I went last year and my dad with his 11 summit x and all his old buddies where kickin my a$$ through the trees and pretty much everywhere so its definitely time to upgrade.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Where and how do you ride? The Pro is the best sled I've ever ridden for getting on top of the pow and sidehilling in the steep and deep but the XP has more power and is a better boondocker. It's also more fun on trails and just goofing around. If you really want to take your riding to the next level in the steep and deep then get a Pro (and turbo it). If you're a more laid back rider that prefers boondocking the trees with friends then the XP is the sled for you. Both actually do well enough at both disciplines tho so you really can't go wrong.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
A
Sep 19, 2011
I have been watching these threads with interest, buying a new sled any day now and still don't know which - probably the pro. My last sled was 09 summit 154 but I got to spend a day on an 11 etc 154 x last season and not even a comparison. The skidoo 800 has always been strong, the etec motor is smoother and just as strong and no real issues I know of. The narrower stance changes the handeling in a big way - carved great with just small body/feet movements, probably a lot like the pros but have not been on one of them yet. The non ported track really stays on top of the snow and pops out of a hole so much better than my chainsaw 09. Apparently the pro also stays on top great (maybe better?). I think skidoo makes a strong reliable sled that now carves and sidehills much better than before. If Polaris was still selling dragons I wouldn't even be looking their way. I'm no engine expert but I know 2 guys that put in three motors in their 800 dragons over a single season - were always in the shop - however I don't know anyone who has had issues with their rmk pros so they had to have addressed the issue. I don't think you will go wrong with either sled. Guys I talk to with 11 etec 800s say they're awsome, guys I talk to with 11 rmk pros act like they wouldn't even want to go sleding without it. Locally the skidoo shop (Mr. R's in Lethbridge AB) is awsome, great customer service and they actually sled. I have heard good things about the polaris guys as well. For me it comes down to two factors. I want to try out the pro and see what all the fuss is about and the spring order rmk comes with 4 years bumper to bumper warranty (I am told, need to read the fine print still). Have not pulled the trigger yet but I'm 80% rmk at the moment and going to the polaris shop tonight so could be 100% rmk by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Premium Features