• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to buy New xp 800 or M8

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I like to ride in the trees and on the hill but I don't always need to be the high mark just like to be up there close. Not looking to do a ton of mods because I like to ride rather than work on my sled all the time. I was also woundering how the 146 track gets arround. I weigh 160 lbs.

Currentely I ride a 2002 RMK 800 with a 144

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Well Im a Skidoo guy so I would say go buy an XP and never look back. I prefer the longest track I can get my hands on but the 146 works well too. It wont get up the hill like a longer track and IMO it doesnt work steep tree riding as well either, but it does good for what it is.

IMO the Doo XP chassis is a step forward in the snowmobile industry. It is lighter, more flicky, and you ride a more forward position than the Cat or any other chassis. Some people really like the Cat but I prefer to ride the lightest sled that I can and ride it from a position the closest to a MX bike that I can, and thats the XP.

Jake

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Both are incredible sleds. I've owned both. You will be happy with either. The new 800HO might be a force to contend with this year, but only time will tell. Do you have a good dealer close to you that sells either? That would be my first choice, a new sled with a dealer to back it up. I love my XP 860, but loved my M sleds too.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Both are incredible sleds. I've owned both. You will be happy with either. The new 800HO might be a force to contend with this year, but only time will tell. Do you have a good dealer close to you that sells either? That would be my first choice, a new sled with a dealer to back it up. I love my XP 860, but loved my M sleds too.

I own both and they are both excellent sleds.. Can;t go wrong with either..

Stock for stock the 2010 M8 will be the better hill puller.
Mod for mod..they will be close..

The XP is awesome! as is the M..

I say, go with the sled that has the best dealer support.

Kelsey

O
Aug 17, 2009
It's already been said both are awesome sleds...One thing to consider with the XP is the rider forward position of the XP. If your not used to "rider forward position" it will take a 1/2 a day to get used to.

OT

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Thanks for the replies. When you talk about the rider foward position of a xp is that the same as a 05 rev? I got to ride one of those last year for 30 minutes or so and it felt really wierd to me. In terms of manuverability will 154 take alot more effort to throw around in the trees?

Thanks

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Yes the rider forward is similar to the rev. The xp is actually slightly more aggressive than the rev. You will probably really like it once you get onto riding it.

An xp with a 154 is easier to throw around in the trees than your rmk with a 144...for me. I prefer the 163 because I can toss it through tighter trees than the frontend will fit through... The chassis is that good when you get onto it.

Jake

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I've been a doo guy for awhile and I'm looking into an M too. I'm going to rent one this year and see how I like it better or not then my Rev. Both the XP and M seem too be great sleds, see which one fits your riding style.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I have a REV. Looking to get a XP this year. I've ridden M sleds and they feel really weird to me. I'm used to the rider forward feel and won't go back. Also, most M's I've been on feel like greased pigs compared to my doo. I feel much more "in control" on my Doo. M's have a low seat, slippery seats ans grips and wish washy ski's. I just dont like them.

ON THE OTHER HAND they are super flickable. Thats part of the reason I don't like them as much, but I'm 270 lbs... in your case the M will be MUCH easier to toss on its side. The doo might seem to had to pull over for you. And with the cat you'll get a reliable ride out of the hills.

But thats just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I just read an article in American Snowmobiler. Their opinion was pretty much if you ride trees and boondock go for the Cat, if you want to make the highest mark go with the Doo, but in the end, like every one else said, ride whatever feels best for you.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Had both....I stayed with Doo. The -'s on the Cat....fit and finish lacking, susp bushings wear VERY fast, junk after a season. Less power to the snow than the Doo, very "lazy" off the line compared to Doo. More belt problems than the Doo. Not as "solid" overall, and not as easily repaired if you do hit something. Bump ride not as good as the Doo. JMO after owning both. :beer;

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I just read an article in American Snowmobiler. Their opinion was pretty much if you ride trees and boondock go for the Cat, if you want to make the highest mark go with the Doo, but in the end, like every one else said, ride whatever feels best for you.

Ive ridden both in the trees and IMO the Doo has a much larger advantage in the tight trees and technical riding than out on an open hill. But thats just me. I like the rider forward type of chassis and will NEVER get away from it. Once you learn to ride it the xp just feels like an extension of your body and you can make it do anything.

Jake

Premium Features