• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What socks to go with Klim Adrenaline boots to stay warm?

What kind of socks do you use and how many layers to keep your feet warm inside Klim Adrenaline boots? It was about -30 degrees with wind chill outside when I wore thick regular socks in my Klim boots while snowblowing the driveway then feet started to feel little cold after about 20 minutes outside. Should I go with wool socks but will they get soaked wet from all day riding?

Reactions: shwee
D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I use smart wool and they work awesome. You can get them at REI or Sportsmans Warehouse. I don't like the feel of wool against my skin but these don't have that scratchy wool feeling. They feel like my Cold Gear. I know I am damp or wet but it doesn't feel like it. They pull the moisture away from your skin.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
don't use cotton or wool socks.

I'm using the KLIM socks and if they aren't warm enough alone I add a pair of thin, poly, liner socks under the KLIM's.

Haven't been cold so far.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I wear two pairs of klim socks with my Adrenaline boots.

Never had an issue with cold feet, but then again I wouldn't be caught dead out in -30

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I wear Smart Wool ankle high so there is no way for them to slide down and bunch up.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i've always just wore my dirtbike riding socks with my klims with no problems. i just always remember to leave the laces farely loose so i get good circulation. but the coldest ive been in so far with these is -15 to -20F.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Gotta love the Klim socks, never had cold feet yet, I was surprised actually, nice and dry, warm and soft :D:D:D

L
Jul 4, 2001
UT
My first question is to Chief.......why do you say not to wear wool socks? The cotton part is correct as cotton will not breath nor dry out during use.

Wool is the only natural product that has insualtion value when it is wet & also can breathe. Many years ago wool was made so that it would loose its shape, shrink, and many people would have problems with the feel of the wool and claim it itchs. Better quality wool will hold it shape and not itch.

There are socks on the market that are advertised as winter socks. They are lower in price, however they are made strictly of nylon, or other manmade products. The socks offer great breathabilty & wicking action, however they offer no insulation value. Some people that can not or will not wear wool will opt for these type of socks.

I am one of the factory sales reps for Thorlo Socks. The information following will work with any name brand, good quality sock. The first thing you need to make sure of is that you have the proper fitting boots. Too tight & it cuts the circulation to your feet, and you will not have the proper space between your feet, socks, & boot liners to obtain insulating space. Too loose and you will have the same problem. A good rule of thumb is that your winter boots should be about 1, 1.5, or 2 sizes larger then your regular street shoes. Take your winter sock set up with you when you try on your winter boots. This way you will know how they feel and if they are too tight.

The secret to keeping your feet warm is to make sure they are dry. You can do this by not using cotton socks. They do not breathe nor offer any isulation value when wet. Next to your bare feet wear a good quality polypropolene sock liner. The polypro will allow the moisture from your feet to travel to the next layer of sock. Think of fishing line and how water beads up on the line and travels along the line.

Your second layer should be a 100% wool sock or a wool/polypro blend sock. The wool will offer the inuslation factor to keep the heat in and with a blended sock you will have the warmth and also the breathablilty to allow moisture to coninue to travel to the liners of the boot.

Some people will just wear a wool/polypro blended sock with no liners, others will wear layers. It just depends on your body make up, how much you sweat, how warm you require to be, ect. What works for me may not work for you. You will have to experiment to fine the right combination. For me I will wear polypro, then a blended wool/polypro sock on the coldest days. On warmer days just the wool/polypro blended sock. Just pack an extra dry pair with you when your trying to find the right combination.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I bought a pair of Klim two weeks ago in a pinch, forget to throw the smart wools in the bag. It was cold on the mountain, around -5 in the morning. I felt the Klim weren't warm enough for those conditions, I give them another try in the spring, but till then its back to smart wool for me.

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
I wear smartwool socks.

I think these are the best. I have walked in freezing stream and then emptied my boots of water and rode the rest of the day. I often add a thin pair of polypropolyene under them.

This set up wicks all the water (sweat) away from your skin. Amazing results.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
You have all given many good options. The important part as mentioned by LM. is that to stay warm you must stay dry. In order for Gore_Tex in your Klim boots to work properly, you must use a moisture wicking material. This keeps the moisture moving away from your feet. And lets the Gore-Tex do what it does.
I've use the Klim socks as my cold weather socks and love them. I've also use my MX socks and they work great as well. I'm not a sock expert. I know the smart wool stuff works good. I always thought regular wool held water to some extent though? Cotton is out as LM stated. His layering idea may be the ticket as well. Some people have poor circulation to their extremities so this may be beneficial. I know my hands are my week points.

A good rule of thumb is that your winter boots should be about 1, 1.5, or 2 sizes larger then your regular street shoes. Take your winter sock set up with you when you try on your winter boots. This way you will know how they feel and if they are too tight.

LM, you are correct on this above so here is what I found today after reading all those posts coming in from other snowest members. All of you are great help!

Today I tried wool socks on and found boots to be real tight so I am having boots exchanged for one size larger which should do the job. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have right size on hand so have to order them. Takes 7-10 days for them to come in. So I think my problem was wrong combination,.... thick cotton socks and boots little tight about half size or equal to my street shoes.

Last edited:
M

mcgyver

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 5, 2008
Idaho
I don't wear any socks in my Klim boots, or if I do, they are footies, and have never had cold feet........ coldest unload was at -19F

Premium Features