• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what should i look for in a sled for Backcountry access

I
Dec 14, 2013
looking for a sled this season for backcountry snowboarding and skiing.
mostly looking towards a used sled to keep investment low.
I know 800cc + mnt slyle sled
is there a min track lenght?
what are some of the rides you guys use? pro and cons?
thanks happy winter

C
Dec 8, 2008
New Meadows, ID
You have a lot of options really. It depends if you wanna just get up the trail for access to hike/ skin, or full on snomo ski. Most any used sled will get you up the trail. A 700 or 800 would be the best choice. I was rockin a Ski-Doo Summit 800 with a 146" track and it did great. Look for low miles. A 150" class track would probably be a better bet. Maybe an Arctic Cat M7 or M8. Ski-Doo Summit 2004 or newer. Polaris RMK. There are a lot of options and great deals out there right now. Best of luck and PM me if you have any specific questions.

R
Oct 18, 2010
I always recommend talking to YOUR riding buddies. Usually they all have a similar preference and what that means is they know how to work on them or have a lot of spare parts!

I always recommend the Polaris 99-03ish 700 or 800. In WA you can find them with extended tracks and minor upgrades for under 2K all day long. If you havn't sledded before, they are beefy enough to roll a bunch and smash into trees with minimal damage, and parts are very easy to find.

Really depends on budget, but you are on the right track. 7-800 minimum, easy aftermarket parts to find, 144+ track minimum. I ride a 99 rmk 700 with a 151, have about 1800 bucks into it and it gets me everywhere I need to go. Once I have my riding ability up to snuff, ill make an upgrade, until then im sticking with the older sleds, they are a lot cheaper to fix when you smash em haha

M
Apr 15, 2009
M7's are very reliable sleds that can go anywhere you'll need them. Look for a stock sled with lower mileage. Do yourself a favor and spend some time learning how to ride. Nothing is more frustrating then trying to get to your ski destination and not being able to get there because you can't sidehill.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
Don't under estimate the following two things:

1) Riding a snowmobile in the backcountry is difficult. You don't just turn on your go pro, press the throttle to the bar, and instantly have a film ready to be sent off to 509 for editing. You are going to need a lot of practice to be able to get to some off trail bc skiing, and you'll need to ride with an experienced rider to get some help and learn new techniques.

2) Riding a snowmobile is an absolute blast!!! Be prepared to replace a lot of your ski days with riding days. I bought my sled 2 seasons ago to go sled skiing... I've sled skied once in 2 seasons.

Also... NEVER ride alone. Seriously, don't ride alone.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Don't under estimate the following two things:

1) Riding a snowmobile in the backcountry is difficult. You don't just turn on your go pro, press the throttle to the bar, and instantly have a film ready to be sent off to 509 for editing. You are going to need a lot of practice to be able to get to some off trail bc skiing, and you'll need to ride with an experienced rider to get some help and learn new techniques.

2) Riding a snowmobile is an absolute blast!!! Be prepared to replace a lot of your ski days with riding days. I bought my sled 2 seasons ago to go sled skiing... I've sled skied once in 2 seasons.

Also... NEVER ride alone. Seriously, don't ride alone.

Yeah, what he said. :face-icon-small-hap

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I would recommend at least a 700cc motor

with at least a track 151-153", minimum of a 2" paddle track.

Last edited:
Premium Features