• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what is the best piston

i have an 02 800 ves motor that i am completely redoing after my pto rod pin broke last winter. my cylinders are at millenium getting recoated and for some reason i have decompression holes in my 02 so i am welding those closed. right now i need to order some pistons and gaskets. i was going to order the wiseco prolite series, but thought i read somewhere a while back that polaris motors dont run well with wiseco. i have always used them in everyother toy but that makes me wonder about this. the motor is a stock rebuild with a better crank. so if yall would give me you imput.

I think the best are the wisecos are the best, th eoems are close and the spis are ok but but the rings are not as good in my expereance I have been running wisecos in my 700 ves and they have worked well for me

I run wisecos in everything I own. 4x4 truck, jeep, jetskis but not my sleds. Im a die hard fan of Elko. Stock ceramic coated elkos all the way. I have seen too many locating pins come out on the SPIs

I've been using SPIs in all the Polaris twins I've worked on since 2004 and haven't had a single failure... something like 60 motors I've done since then. I really like the SPIs.

Usually you don't weld the decomp holes shut, you just tap and screw a little set screw in there.

sled_guy

IMO weisco pistons are junk in the 2-stroke sled catagory. They cant take the abuse since they are forged. Just too soft, locating pins constantly come loose causing major damage.

The SPI is an awesome piston. Being a cast piston and teflon coated makes them more reliable and easier to break in. Ive compared them right next to OEM polaris pistons and they are an exact copy and no failures here either on the last 20+ builds in 2008-2009 season.

Premium Features

Back