• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What does your Sled Deck weigh?

Well if you want the lightest on the market you will want something made out of aluminum. I made a steel one that is not too heavy. Its light enough that 2 guys can get it into my truck with a 6'' lift, have to use some extra strength but can make it work. Just do some research on aluminum ones. There are alot of good ones out there but may cost you some $$$.

I have an aluminum Lotus deck. I don't know the weight but I can tell you it takes 3-4 guys to load and unload it.

There have been several conversations about it, but a 1/2 ton is really not big enough for a 2 place sled deck. Some will tell you to throw some airbags under the rear springs and you are good to go, but there are other factors. 1/2 ton trucks have semi-floating axles (vs full floating on a HD), smaller brakes, smaller steering components (these take abuse on heavy loads) and usually have less capable tires. You should look at the single place loading decks. They are really cool.

See THIS link.

hate to say it but unless you only plan on hauling one sled there is a really good chance that you are going to be over weight with two sleds in a 1/2 ton. the weight adds up really fast once you account for gas, oil, gear, people.

I have a 3/4 ton and not sure that I would want a deck and sleds on without air bags underneath.

sled deck 005.jpg

Air bags will be the 1st thing I buy, I planned on that. Just wondering how light the decks get. Toyup Sleddecks(made of steel) claim to be 400lbs and also claim to be one of, if not the lightest sleddeck on the market. Just curious if there was something lighter out there. I know a handfull of guys that have run sleddecks carrying 2 full size mountain sleds with a halfton and haven't had a problem, just have to have airbags. But thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. :beer;

just cause they haven't had problems doesn't means it's smart to do. airbags don't change the safe load limit a truck can haul. check you door to see what your truck is actually capable of hauling, then take your truck to the scales and see how much room you got left and then start adding.

im not going to get into the whole what a truck can and cant do.. BUT, aluminum decks arent always lighter, the stuff is 1/3 the weight of steel and 1/3 the strength, so equal strength decks should weigh almost the same weight. what you should look for is a simple one, no beaver tail, etc.. the basic frame isnt that heavy, but the little brackets edges and whatnot add up in a hurry. when i built mine it got heavy in a hurry, i put 3/4 plywood on it and that stuff is 55# a sheet. you get the point,

My Marathon is under 400 lbs. My 3/4 ton chassis handles two sleds on this deck easily. I do however believe that you would be challenging your half-ton. JMHO good luck

Reactions: GDG
Motomikey told me my deck was 375lbs with the ramp when I bought it in 2006.

That is his old style with a beavertail.

Last edited:
I have a home built sled deck that I would say is a lot like a Marathon. With 11' ramp, front and rear super clamps, and 6 8' superglide tracks it is 300lbs on the bathroom scale.

I have a home built sled deck that I would say is a lot like a Marathon. With 11' ramp, front and rear super clamps, and 6 8' superglide tracks it is 300lbs on the bathroom scale.

Just trying to put a visual on this one...:loco:

You work in higher ed... and you couldn't do better than a bathroom scale???:D
only in P-ville!

I have a steel deck for my 94 ford 1/2 ton...no beaver tail, just a simple deck with 2 ramps that hook into the end and slide together and it just sits on top of the bed rails so it dosn't have the extra weight of a frame. ITts ikinda heavy, but 2 people can load it just fine. Even with 2 sleds on it, it squats some, but not to bad. And with it being a straight 6, it still does pretty good.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Premium Features

Back