• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME TO CANADA!!!

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
Dude, come on. Really? You must have a rather low opinion of Canadian Border Services agents. Make sure your registration and insurance are up to date and be able to provide proof swiftly at the border. If you have all of your travel documentation close at hand they will have fewer reasons to inspect your vehicle more closely.

P
well i lost the paperwork from when i bought the sled last year i never registerd it cause i didnt ride it. so they said i have to call the place in montana where i bought it and have them send the paper work again. so should i just bring another registration from my other sled? would that work?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
With all the cross border buying going on, I would make sure you have all the proper paperwork with you. Especially if you are going to revy. I have been stopped and checked for proper registration a few times.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do you have to have a current passport now?

When I went through about five years ago, they let me through with just a drivers license and a recently expired passport. Obviously I had my current truck and sled paperwork with me.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Passport or passport card.... must haves.

Also, you will need all the paperwork for your sleds, car, trailer, insurance.

Some border crossings are easy.. others are a ROYAL PITA!! Depends on the agent.

Without papers on that sled, that match the regestration VIN numbers you could be turned back at the border and miss your trip to see Chris.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
What about registering them in Canada.
If you ride in Idaho, Wyoming or Montana you have to have a sticker from that state on your sled.
What kind of a registration/visitor sticker do we need when we get there?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
What about registering them in Canada.
If you ride in Idaho, Wyoming or Montana you have to have a sticker from that state on your sled.
What kind of a registration/visitor sticker do we need when we get there?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

There's no such requirement in Canada. What you need is proof of registration and insurance in your home jurisdiction.

D

dale dalueg

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 3, 2011
Proper paperwork;
Pass Port or Nexus Card
Registration and Insurance for your vehicle, sled and must make sure your trailer is registered.

Other than that it's fairly simple.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Make sure everything is insured and registered. I would recomend a passport to make sure everything goes smoothly. I use my passport even when flying from province to province. P.S. be sure to endulge in the Molson Canadian once you're here and settled!

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I just Bought a Sled and have A bill of sale.Also the Yamaha cert. of origen. From Original owner.Will that work to get across the border? I have ins on it to.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I'd say....... no!

You should have liability insurance. What if you kill someone with your sled? Not saying its gonna happen. Those are the things the boarder guards are gonna use against you. Don't give them an excuse to be pricks and turn you around at the boarder. Make sure you have all your paperwork. At minimum I would have a valid driver's license and insurance and registration on both my truck and sled. Just my (2) cents.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Sorry

Didn't see you had ins on it. That will be good enough for the sled I would think. As long as you can prove you own it and it has insurance you'll be fine. Ben.

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
What you need

All you need is some proof of purchase. Bill of Sale, invoice, etc. You don't need insurance, registration anything else.

Tell them where you are going riding. If you don't know exactly where, make something up but be decisive. I made the mistake of saying I didn't know where I was riding yet because my riding choice would be weather dependent. BIG MISTAKE!! Up the wazoo with questions, searching the car, why did I have all this gear? Retarded questions that only a towering intellect of a border guard could ask.

Don't make any jokes and laugh at all their stupid jokes!

I always get arsed even when I am with my kids. The border guards on both sides care more about protecting the interests of cross-border trade tariffs, taxes, etc. then anything else.

I am a CDN living in Seattle for the past 9 years and I get hassled more crossing into Canada than when I come back to the US even though I still travel on my CDN passport.

WTF!!

Premium Features