• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water Wetter and Coolant info

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
I bought some Water Wetter and was a little concerned as even though it says on it that it has corrosion inhibitor for aluminum, it also says it contains alkaline components.

From first hand water treatment experience I know that akaline chemicals often cause severe corrosion to aluminum.

I measure the pH of the product and it is near 9.5 undiluted. Normally we do not want to see a pH above 9.0 for aluminum and it is even better to not exceed 8.5.

anyway due to the low dosage, (1 oz./quart) I expect there will not be much of a pH increase in the existing coolant.

The bottom line is that this may be a very good product but I would not recommend overfeeding.

For those who don't know, this product is designed to mix with glycol (coolant) to break down the cohesion to better transfer heat to the heat transfer surfaces. This can help keep the motor cooler. Water also transfers heat beter than glycols so don't mix your collant more than 50/50. You should always use deionized, demineralized or R.O. water too as some domestic water is very high in minerals. Make sure your glycol has a good corrosion inhibitor that is designed for aluminum. Either propylene or Ethylene glycol can be used, it is the pH of the inhibitor that is very important.
Avoid recycled glycol as we have seen short life spans before the development of glycol acids.

water wetter

good info chris

i have been water wetter since 04 when we started streching the old bevertails out, i run a racepac temp gauge i know from watching the gauge . that it will lower you everyday temp. good info
thanks
giddyup

I have a freind who runs a late model stock car, they run a computer datalogger with a coolant temp input that monitors many things, instead of a thermostat they run a restriction plate of a given dia in the water outlet, when they tried watter wetter it lowered the coolant temps slightly MORE than was advertised.

Premium Features

Back