• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VIDEO: Apple IOS 18 Just KILLED Garmin InReach... Here's Why. (Satellite Messaging)

It is a matter of time before all phones are able to use satellites rather than towers to transmit signals.

Currently the iPhone emergency messenger system does work and being on a Colorado SAR team we responded to an iPhone originated SAR call this week. Currently the communication relay is not ideal from a SAR perspective as the searchers cannot communicate directly with the subject and the subject does not always respond to messages. Don’t know what the Apple system looks like when in use in the field, but being able to utilize two way communication directly with the person needing help is a very important part of being able to perform an efficient search/rescue effort.

Also don’t know how powerful the satellite antenna on the phone is. Even the full size InReach can have issues communicating in heavy tree canopies, mountains and canyons and they appear to have have a much larger antenna than a phone (but don’t know the specifics of the wattage from device to device or effective transmission range)

For now, if you are in the back country often- a dedicated satellite communicator still makes sense because it provides a better communication process with SAR teams and it can track your location in real time which may be important for friends who are keeping track of your progress.

I'm curious what the subscription cost will be once the 2 year free portion is up. Cannot find that info anywhere.

Also don’t know how powerful the satellite antenna on the phone is. Even the full size InReach can have issues communicating in heavy tree canopies, mountains and canyons and they appear to have have a much larger antenna than a phone (but don’t know the specifics of the wattage from device to device or effective transmission range)

Not sure you can compare the two as its entirely different technologies and satellite networks. However, I too am somewhat sceptical.

I'm curious what the subscription cost will be once the 2 year free portion is up. Cannot find that info anywhere.

Not sure you can compare the two as its entirely different technologies and satellite networks. However, I too am somewhat sceptical.
NO MENTION OF IT anywhere that I have seen as yet.
But you can be sure it WON'T REMAIN FREE.

NO MENTION OF IT anywhere that I have seen as yet.
But you can be sure it WON'T REMAIN FREE.

The iPhone 16 release will likely have new sat hardware and will coincide with the free trial period ending for the iPhone 14. Starlink's mobile phone network is set go public sometime this year. They already have contracts in place with several major carriers. I think there is a bit of chess game going on with starlink and apple's different strategy, especially pricing. I feel apple's tech is still quite beta, hence they haven't pushed it much, but it was a move to be first to market.
I'll likely be looking for new hardware for next season. Will be interesting.

The first generation is definitely not a replacement for a satellite SOS messenger such as the inReach. I learned that last winter when I discovered it is one way communication.

It will be interesting to see how it works with this new feature of 2 way communication.

It has me wondering because I just ordered an inReach Messenger last week.

The first generation is definitely not a replacement for a satellite SOS messenger such as the inReach. I learned that last winter when I discovered it is one way communication.

It will be interesting to see how it works with this new feature of 2 way communication.

It has me wondering because I just ordered an inReach Messenger last week.
Did you see todays post from SpaceX?

Premium Features

Back