• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Using RV's in the winter?

Do any of you guys use RV's in the winter? I would like to use ours more. It is an older 24' class C but is in good shape and everything works. My difficulty is getting it ready for the snowy/icy roads. It is licensed and IM'd rather than seasonal use. Do you guys use studs or chains or both? I am having trouble finding chains or studs that are 8.00x16.5. I have read somewhere about switching it over to 16" wheels so there are more tires available for it. I see a lot more RV's later in the winter months (March/April) and have had ours out then too.

I felt pretty comfortable driving it, but had a white knuckle drive last winter through Turnigain coming back from homer through a blizzard with 4-6" on the ground and summer tires which has made me leary of taking it out this winter. I was really wanting some chains then. I am really more worried about getting it stopped rather than going. Some of the passes are long grades and with that much mass it isn't fun. We only have an open two place trailer so we aren't pulling much and aren't being pushed too much. Do you put chains or cables on the only the rear duals or all 4 corners?

We had also thought about going the truck and overhead camper route pulling the trailer. That way we would have 4WD, a place to sleep, and be able to use the sleds for the day.

Thanks for any input.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Yeah I'd like to hear some opinions on this, as the wife and I are considering a RV and also want to use it in winter. I've asked around a bit and been told they handle well on snow and that even studs are unnecessary. One friend just gets his normal tires sciped (not sure how to spell that word, but lines cut into the tread).

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have done this quite a bit. Did it for years with a cabover camper, then had an old 24' class for about 3 years and now am back to a cabover. The class a got around great in the winter. One year we were headed up oilwell road in a bad(good!) snow storm. I was pulling a 4place open with 4 sleds and 55gals of fuel on it. I wound up pullit out several lifted 4x4 trucks with two place's that kept getting stuck in front of me. Get a good set of tires. There are still alot of good tires made for the 16.5's. Your choices are getting more limited especially in the big lifted truck sizes but not what you would run on your class-c's.. Depending on your budget, you have two options. 1St of course you can get a good set of siped and studded tires on all 4 corners. Your rig would be a small tank set up like this. It would still be a good idea to get a set of chains for those just in case days. Not so much for the hiway, but waking up to a foot or 2 of new snow and trying to get moving out of a parking lot with that much new snow that has not been plowed. The other option would be a set of good siped all seasons such as the nokian vativa's all the way around and run them year round. Those tires are pretty amazing but not as good as studs. With those you could chain up as needed which would not be often but you sight want on a day say when it is raining on turnagain with snow and ice on the road. A couple of other tips, If you have any large windows such as one across the front of the cabover, put a piece of blue board across it on the inside. The widows sweat bad in cold weather and will get your bedding wet. Not to mention, it will stay much warmer. Also take a piece of 4" thick soft foam to insert in your roof vents openings. Especially the one over the beds. They too from the hot on the inside and the cold on the outside will sweat to the point that it starts "raining" under them!!! I hate wet bedding. (no smart a$$ coments AKSNOW RIDER). I would not use your plumbing. In the class c you should have enough room to use a portapotty in there instead and bring a couple of 5 gal jugs of water for dishes and and drinking. Use a rectangualar dish pan that fits in your sink and toss it when done. Pm me if you like for any other ideas. Those are the main ones that come to mind quickly. Hope this helps you. :beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
We have a 29 foot class C, and we tow an open, fully loaded four place behind it. For anyone who drove home from p-ville over turkey day and knows how bad the road was, that motorhome drove like a dream through that. Just regular tires. The motorhome is the way to go. Just blow out the water system and pour dilluted RV antifreeze in the bowl when you use the toilet.

Although ours does really well, Ive heard of some of the smaller ones not doing so well when it gets slick

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Ditto

Sounds like ultrarider covered the important and pertinent info. I also like the versatility of my crew cab 4wd with a cabover that is winter rated. Even though it is winter rated I keep the water system purged with antifreeze and just carry water so I don't have to deal with rewinterizing the water system when I get home. Ventilation has been the key for me keeping the rain from coming down inside. Sure is nice to have a warm place and a cold beer to come home to after a good ride. See you all out there.:beer;

P
Nov 28, 2007
We have a 40' toyhauler that I pull year round. I have camped in it 3 times this winter already. Dont use the water. Bring a couple 5 gallon jugs. A plastic tray works great for the sink to dump out the water used for washing dishes or brushing teeth. I used RV antifreeze to use in the toilet, but I think I am going to try winshield washer fluid as it doesnt freeze and I dont care what goes in the black tank. Last but not least, bring some spare propane as you will go through more in winter.

Thanks

Thanks for the great replies. I forgot about tire siping, maybe that would help especially on the ice. The tires we have on it are pretty firm and not soft. They still have some tread, but it is straight highway tread. I do plan on getting some chains or cables for it. Getting it from the house to the roads in Eagle River is the challenge right now. Our road, like most is ice coated and is very steep. I think we could get it from the house but probably couldn't get it back home until I did something with the tires. It does have quite a bit of weight so that maybe good or bad depending on the situation.

We already knew about the water system and it stays drained down for most of the year, matter of fact we really don't use the water system much in the summer even. I like the idea of the hard and soft foam insulation and haven't tried that yet, but will in the future.

We experienced the propane thing when the furnace ran most of a night when we first got it. Sheep Mountain in February at -10F and about a 15-20 mph wind. Good times. I am so glad I brought an auxillary propane heater. I did have to get up and start the rig twice that night, the batteries were going down fast and it was close to no return on the first crank. I have a large portable generator, but it isn't very portable and I have been looking for one of the honda 2000's or the Yamaha 2400, for backup and in case the RV doesn't want to start I can warm it up, also electic heat works with a generator and doesn't make fumes inside the RV.

Hope to see you out somewhere.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Overhead Truck camper combo is def the best unless you can afford an Earthroamer. It's nice having 4x4 when you need it. Also Truck with Sled deck pulling a travel trailer may work also. I also carry a honda 2000 gene and 2 bottles of propane. My camper has a forced hot air furnance as well as a wave 3 catalytic heater.

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

Premium Features