• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used yeti 120

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Hey guys , I am looking at buying a used yeti 120 kit i think its 2016 12 inch wide track 2.5 lug? It is mounted on a 2014 ktm with some goodies. Has hand guards, skid plate, cs intake for snow bike, bar warmers, wingman nos kit (said he never used it) yeti ski up front, the guy built for out west but has never taken it. Says 90 hours on engine but he thinks it was rebuilt then hour meter added? Guessing it was mainly used as dirt bike?
I dont know a lot about any of this snow bike stuff but trying to figure it out. Was the yeti 120 kit a good kit compared to the timbersled 120? Did they make big changes to the yeti? Are there things i should change or ask? He does not seem to know a lot about it as he has never taken it out west and only ridden as dirt bike. The wingman kit came with new computer. bar switch to arm and thermostat.

Thanks in advance.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Depending on your snow the track could be an issue... if it has the first maxtrackit did great in the power but was a fail in the firm snow... of course depending on the deal you get that can be swapped...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Honestly 1 and 2 look the same so it's hard to tell... but if he did not upgrade it then most likely it's the 1 if it is a 16... where are you riding it ...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
You can read older post... the deal with the track is great on powder not firm enough in the harder snow so it slides around... the paddles collapse... easy fix but that's more money.

R
Sep 15, 2010
Some of the 16 kits had driver issues as well. The drivers bind on the track cogs causing extra vibration and robbing power. The 16 Yeti kit is worth about $3k by itself. You'll want to check belt size as well. The 16s came with a 21mm belt, 28mm belt and pulleys are the standard now. Yeti sells an upgrade kit for about $275

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Some of the 16 kits had driver issues as well. The drivers bind on the track cogs causing extra vibration and robbing power
Did they have the ones that ran down the center instead of having extroverts ..

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can tell you this.. for Utah snow that would be 100 percent no go I would get a timbersled ... 16 and on. I had those on my hold over as 17 and they warrantied and swapped them to extroverts because it was unridable with the ice build up...

R
Sep 15, 2010
Depending on price, I wouldn't rule it out. If, it needs the upgraded extrovert drivers and 28mm belt upgrade and the price is right buy it and do the upgrades in the off season. A 2016 Yeti will still weigh far less and be more efficient then a Tsled kit.

R
Sep 15, 2010
The maxtrak 2 is Yeti's 2nd generation maxtrak, so that is good. The driver's may still be suspect, from what I understand it is hit or miss on the driver issue.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The maxtrak 2 is Yeti's 2nd generation maxtrak, so that is good. The driver's may still be suspect, from what I understand it is hit or miss on the driver issue.
so that is a good thing or could i still have driver issues?
Drivers are a much cheaper issue... and the issue is totally snow dependent in your area...

R
Sep 15, 2010
Yeti sells some rail extensions. I'd call and make sure they still have some available. I bought a pair last year and was told there were some left, but they were not having any more manufactured. FWIW Toby Till at Rocky Mountain Snow MX is great place to get Yeti parts from, as well as any snow bike related goodies. Outstanding customer service!!!!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
The 2016 Yeti is an OK kit but the newer Yeti kits are better. The kit has gone through a lot of changes over the years including all the above mentioned, belt width, track improvements the maxtracks 1 & 2 are not well rounded all condition tracks either of them, the 2016 tunnel had no kick, was known to crack and was changed in 2017. The 2016 had the crappy Fox float shocks, bad drivers, the ski has changed, Ti bolts that were too short and fell out etc. etc. The Ti front arms break and cost a fortune to replace or fix, that's why the 2020 version is cromo. the cross shafts snap. If it were me I would give it a pass and find something newer and more reliable unless you get it for dirt cheap like 2k cheap because you will end up spending a bunch of $$ that you will never see on the back end and it still wont be that great. There are tons of great used kits out there that will allow you to just go out and ride without any worries of something breaking specially if this is your first snow bike.

I'm a Yeti fan and once I ride the 2020 Yeti I'm pretty sure I will snow check a 2021 but up until this season more of my friends have ended their days because of Yeti break downs over any of the other major brands so I've held off buying one. They got the tunnel cracking issue and ski snapping issue under control in 2019 which made for a pretty solid kit. A friend of mine is a tester for Yeti and if his doesn't break this season I will finally buy one.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I am with M5. I would ride a timbersled raw over a 2016 yeti. You’re just setting your day up for failure. Way too many things break on that kit.

Premium Features