• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper frame cast knuckle swap

Has anyone successfully swapped the cast steering bracket on the frame? Its bolted in the front and riveted / epoxied in the rear. Will the epoxy give up with some heat. I know they dont sell just that part but it seems like it would be faster and cheaper if i could steal it off a parts machine.

IMG_8587.JPG

Has anyone successfully swapped the cast steering bracket on the frame? Its bolted in the front and riveted / epoxied in the rear. Will the epoxy give up with some heat. I know they dont sell just that part but it seems like it would be faster and cheaper if i could steal it off a parts machine.
Yes, I'm doing one tonight. Heat em up with a blow torch. Yours is a switch back or rush style and not a pro rmk one just to be clear.

Also the bonding method is a much bigger p.i.a. than getting them apart! Lord's 406 or 3m panel bonding. I'm using 3m structural adhesive for things like this and panel bond for things that might need to flex some. It's my opinion that aluminum is a better material than caebonfiber, and is more responsive than the cf. (I'm weird and also far from a scientificsist so don't listen to me without forwarning)

I swap rmks to this style as it's much closer to what the 2021s are. Been on it since 2012 and had the rmk since 2011. I could run anything in the world and there is a reason I do the swap. Ebay, specifically Idaho power sports iirc is my preferred, used, chassis parts supplier!

With any luck this summer I can get a few units made from ti as the post as well as the pitmant arm/post are different than rmk. This would be done by Dan at Alternative impact and no he doesn't know about it yet [emoji6][emoji1258]
4f4b195b4bef9031779147f906ae74b3.jpg
eb89f6e00621f53a8ba404defbf84659.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I swap rmks to this style as it's much closer to what the 2021s are. Been on it since 2012 and had the rmk since 2011. I could run anything in the world and there is a reason I do the swap. Ebay, specifically Idaho power sports iirc is my preferred, used, chassis parts supplier!
4f4b195b4bef9031779147f906ae74b3.jpg

Do you mean to say that you put SwitchBack Assault/Rush steering post castings on an RMK?...
I'd like to put the RMK boards and overstructure on a SBA, but if possible, I'd like to swap the SBA casting onto the RMK overstructure in order to keep the laydown style of steering post.

@MikeB

Yes thats exactly what I mean! Others before me have been doing it since 2010. Infact I have went far past there but I can't share exactly everything I have come up with. As far as chassis building goes, there's things a guy figures out only through FAILURE. I am genuinely looking forward to comparing with polaris's 22 m k s b [emoji1690] Yhere's even more trickery going on THATS INTENDED TO BE SUBTLE, Some things are REALLY hard to make look stock btw. Aluminum is a funny meterial!
fc96cf8480d0cf493e3ab780d75c21b9.jpg
80d86e65fafc3f79e5e791ccc493024f.jpg

Nice! Any advice on bonding a new casting on the overstructure? Did you pre-apply the Lord adhesive then assemble, or did you put the parts together then inject the adhesive though the small hole in the casting?

Also, how do you like that EZ-Ryde skid? What's the biggest difference over a conventional one?

Premium Features

Back