• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Update on my 16 build

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
For those that want it.
Performance Update '16 M8000 153 LE.
It's a nice sled but there is a lot more potential to this animal.
I got it last spring and immediately cut the boards off and fabricated brand boards to fit. In the process I raised the outside edge to the same height as the axys, giving the same width and height allows the rider to take on a lot steeper side hills.
At the same time I installed the kmod steering bracket that increases steering, it allows you to maintain counter steering for the steeper capabilities.
The last item was gripper skis, I've tried them all and it is the best ski for this chassis!
BEST MOD:
I then took it to the BCRA competition in crested butte, CO and won the stock class with a large lead.
Since then a few of us finally got BMFAB to build a set of strong tube narrow boards. Much easier to install then burandt boards. Front Range Arctic Cat is selling and installing them if needed. This is the SINGLE BIGGEST Mod to the pro climb chassis in making it a extreme backcountry sled!
CLUTCHING :
I think the stock clutching was a joke. Installed 66g weights with a sw 120/285 and it is extremely rippy with great throttle control, may not be for everyone, but I still wanted more. So I contacted Steve at MDS and got some of his clutch weights! Immediately you can feel the pull and the clutches working. Love it!
A few light weight mods- diamond s can -17lbs and a kmod light weight hood -13lbs. Ready to ride it's a little lighter then an axys now. I haven't checked yet but I've been told early LE cats have a 43* helix and the fall cats got a 48*.
Can't believe what this thing will do!!!
Now on to the next item,
GEARING:
In the past cat kept hearing down to make up for there junk clutches, in the process losing performance. (Last year I ran I a '14 m8 with a 3" geared up to 2.42 and 8 tooth drivers after fixing the clutches, out pulled everything in comparison, even my 16 bad) So I just bought and installed a TKI belt drive with a 2.25. With 7 tooth drivers it reduces to about a 2.45 ratio. Tom with TKI is an amazing guy and hooked me up with a 2.33 (comes out to about 2.54) as well so I will also be testing to see what pulls harder. I was in town so I stopped by TKI, did I mention what a great guy Tom is. Working hard to keep us happy!
Soon to come a 36lb kmod skid and later a custom turbo specific to backcountry riding. Then I'm going to see if I can hit 500 lbs ready to ride. :)))
I will also be getting the Evols revalved by Toms Snowmobile, the stock valving is a joke! I'll test front and stock skid with Toms valving.
For those that don't want to go all out. The bmfab boards are worth it, rider confidence and capability will go up!
Next kmod steering and gripper skis.

tmp_13234-20151204_231959-32171994.jpg tmp_13234-20151205_004329913995678.jpg

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Nice, Curious to see how the 2.25 compares. Im running MDS weights, the 2.33 TKI, and probably a 48* helix (fall model) and im not seeing quite the instant snap it sounds like you have, or I had on my 13. Im only riding 5 to 6500 ish feet as well most of the time.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Nice write up. I know of a set of gripper skis local for sale. How much work is it to mount them up to a pro climb?

One other question. Do you like the new front end? I went with the zbroz 38 inch kit with the new spindle and I like it better than the 15 style front end but I'm wondering if I should have went to the 36 inch stock kit, or even alternative impacts 36 inch kit... what do you think?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Great information. Nice job driving changes to improve the Proclimb chassis. Hopefully Cat is paying attention to some of the things you're doing to slim down the chassis....

As to the gripper skis, I completely agree they provide the floatation and maneuverability the chassis needs. Re: the install question...there are some threads on here somewhere. Pretty much just remove the row of bumps that intersect the ridges on the gripper ski and install...i.e., use the cat rubber bumpers not the Polaris.

Reactions: Motorbreath_

ges

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
pierre sd
Are ya going to sell your stock shocks might be interested in purchase i really don't want to put spacers in mine

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The 48 doesnt work very well above 11k in bottomless pow, tried those conditons on mine today for the first time. Not enough snap down low. I have a 43 on order from Racinstation. Im running 21 49 gearing. Also gonna try mds weights. Had a 16 162 3" and 15 2.6 153 out with my 16 today and all of us were getting 33-35 mph until we got gowing on top of the snow. Does get the skis in the air quicker letting out the limiter straps 1/2" longer than stock 3rd hole.

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Good write up! Any pics of the kmod hood? And specifically the intake design?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Nice, Curious to see how the 2.25 compares. Im running MDS weights, the 2.33 TKI, and probably a 48* helix (fall model) and im not seeing quite the instant snap it sounds like you have, or I had on my 13. Im only riding 5 to 6500 ish feet as well most of the time.

What spring, I'm using a sw 120/285 with mds weights

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
A grand for a hood?

I think I'd rather just eat salad for a few weeks.

Reactions: Dam Dave
Premium Features