• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Two stroke diesel

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
OK, bear with me here. I always loved the responsive, quick revving detroit diesel. And that got me wondering if anyone has toyed with small displacement 2 stroke forced induction diesel engines?
Couldn't this be made to be just as light as a current gas engine? I can see meeting noise and epa requirements being a challenge.
Maybe a dumb idea.

G

Gunit111

Mar 9, 2021
Alberta
Development work being done on 2 stroke diesels today are horizontally apposed with no heads; pistons run toward each other. Close to meeting epa standards but heavy with 2 cranks. Noise, weight and cooling would be a problem in a sled.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Development work being done on 2 stroke diesels today are horizontally apposed with no heads; pistons run toward each other. Close to meeting epa standards but heavy with 2 cranks. Noise, weight and cooling would be a problem in a sled.

Revisiting an age old design?

Actually, now that I think of it, I think that was a steam engine design.

That design seems like it could maybe have a slight bit of efficiency benefit, but I think that would be hard on the drive-train.
Johnny Poppers were known to be hard on PTO driven equipment doo to their inherent lack of smoothness.

???

Premium Features