• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted Intercooler

I

INDEEP

Has anyone run the Twisted water to air intercooler? I'm curious if it's a good all around option or just for the big pulls.

He had one on his sled all year last year. Call him up, he'll shoot you straight on the benefits and drawbacks if there are any.

He builds the systems a few different ways depending on what you are looking for.... He also uses the most efficient cores available in all his WTA intercoolers which are all hand built... They are sick!!! They are also designed to be added to an existing Twisted Kit!!!! They did a great job on this and its also nice you dont have to redo your entire kit if you would like to add this upgrade to what you already have......

So I ordered a water to air inner cooler from Shain at Twisted Turbos with my kit over a year and a half ago and still have not received it yet. He had the kit marked down to 5500 instead of the 6600 at the time, he said he was burning up the left over 1000 kits at the time since the 1000 was no longer being made. So I added on the cold air intake and inner cooler. I called Shain at least 6 times over the last year asking where the inner cooler is at, and every time he had some new excuse on why I have not received it. The last time that I called I said I want my money back for the inner cooler and he refused to return it. His reason why he wouldn't return it was "If I remember right I gave you a deal on your kit, I didn't make anything at 5500":mad2:

I'm self employed and If I treated my customers like Shain treated me I wouldn't be employed!

So I made my own water to air inner cooler with closed loop system, here is how I did it....

Frozen Boost 11'' by 9'' inner cooler straight through

2 1/2 x 2 tee for blow off valve (50mm)

135 degree by 2 1/2 silicone elbow, few more 2 1/2 t clamps

misc plumbing fittings that you can see in the pics, hose

1.2 amp bosch pump, around 3 gal per min.

custom copper heat exchanger in tunnel, about 90 ft total of 3/8 od soft copper

Over all its a tight fit on the 1000 but fits perfect. There is no less than 3/8'' clearance at any point to motor. I think there would be a lot more room on an 800. You do not even need to rotate the compressor housing at all. It works with the twisted cold air intake as well, just clears in a couple of pics with hood shut, so charge temps should be insane cold!

I hope if there is anybody on the fence on who's kit to buy that this post will help them decide on who they want to give there over 6g's to.

Inner Cooler Side View .jpg WA Cooler 1.jpg WA Cooler 2.jpg WA Cooler Top.jpg WA Cooler Clearance.jpg Under Hood WA 1.jpg Under Hood WA 2.jpg

More Pics

Im running the 3'' ce with plenty of room still

front of exchanger looks like one piece but its not, there is a divider brazed in so coolant will make a big loop.

In pic with block exposed you can see where exchanger has to sit down into, I toke and rounded the sharp edges of the case very slightly just to give it the extra 1/8 of clearance just in case. Clears mag wires by a lot still.

If you installed your twisted kit to their specs there are a few things you need to move so inner cooler clears. I didnt like having my fuel pressure regulator on the inside of the frame any way, major PITA to adjust fuel pressure if needed that way.

Blow Off Valve.jpg WA Lines.jpg exchanger 1.jpg exchanger 3.jpg exchanger 4.jpg exchanger 7.jpg Block.jpg

Last edited:
Intercooler

Indeep..

I seen this sled last week and it is more impressive in person. Very clean install and lots of well though out ideas.

Sorry to here about Shain and not getting your cooler, But in the last few months I have heard lots of negative stuff. Its to bad because I love my M1000 Twisted Turbo kit.

System has been tested now, I added in a air temp sensor in bottom of inner cooler (cold side)

cruising down trail to riding area: 3-5 lbs boost, 35 -38 deg charge temps

boondocking: heavy on off throttle 12lbs boost, 5ft fresh over the hood pow, never seen anything over 60 deg charge temps.

10+ sec pulls: 12lbs boost, 5ft pow, over the hood , nothing over 93 deg charge temps. O2 held great at wfo, tuning was very very consistent.

Ambient air temp during all this was about 20-25 deg, 9-12k elevation

My entire closed loop system holds about 3 1/2 quarts

Last edited:
The water to air works so good with a closed system. Everything is so consistent. I almost forgot how to adjust my box it was so Long since I messed with it. With a water to air they run the same all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back