• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted '09 M8 Turbo Questions

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Just got an '09 M8 with a pump gas twisted turbo. Just 1200 on the sled. Top end redone a couple hundred ago with forged pistons. This guy really knew what he was doing. I am new to turbos, so I just need a few questions answered, from you, I already have been told by him what the specs should be, but I wanna hear your unbiased knowledge.

Target AFR
Water temp
Does running race/pump mix destroy the race fuel?
Do I follow 1 psi of boost to every 1000 feet of elevation?
If I'm at 8-10,000 ft, what's my highest safe boost psi?
How do I have to treat it on the trail, and why?

Thanks!!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Target Afr at WFO is about 12.2-12.5

I run straight Avgas at 10 psi of boost from 4k to 10k , per Staingers recommendation for safe operation, he claims 6-7 psi on Super , 10 psi max on 100 and 12 lbs on 110, if u have c12 or 114 can go up to 14 psi. , Now I know that I could probably run 12 psi above 8K but choose to leave my boost alone at a steady 10 psi, when I first punch it the boost will spike at 11psi, but settle at 10 psi.

as far as fuel mixtures, most of it is by guess and by golly, that is why i run straight avgas, or may choose to run straight Race, but super and race pretty much equals 100 octane when mixed 50/50. but you will get the same quality 100ll all over the world.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
My sled was a 2011 m8 162 with a twisted race gas kit using a garret 2876 turbo

I ran up to 15 psi on my 2011 m8 with the stock head on straight 100LL at 9-12000ft Never had a det code... I would recommend just playing with it and see what works for you. Just know that your sled will be most responsive when running the least amount of octane you can run without pre det..

Your sled will let you know when it's getting to warm, you shouldn't have any troubles with that unless your on a packed trail. Then Ice scratchers will keep that in check.

Some say to not keep the same exact throttle position when cruising down the trail due to a lean condition that may arise.

I can't stress enough to not take most of what you read on here about the twisted kit to seriously. All the info in here had me so backwards on my sled, I lost a lot of days thinking something was wrong.....and all it came down to was my box numbers were just way different then the others.

Another thing is once you get it tuned to where you like it. Your gunna have to train yourself to not let your gauges get the best of you... Just get it where you want it and stop looking at em. You will be able to feel when something needs adjustment. Otherwise you will be screwing with the box constantly.

Minimum 40:1 mix for fuel/oil
I would say max at 32:1
I ran amsoil at 40:1 did a good job.

Identify what kind if lubrication you have for your center section. Grease zerk or oil tube.

Spark plug gap at .020

All I can think of right now.

Reactions: Snofreak3

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
my 09 was a race kit but the max on pump 91oct was 6-7lbs, but thats only if your injectors will supply enough fuel.

I am not sure where a pump gas kit starves on fuel.

If I remember right 12.8 on the afr was max but below 12 it wouldn't run. usually got it sitting around 12.4-12.6

Premium Features