• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Plumbing Schemes

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
I had recently been reading Boyko's build thread where he tried a few different turbos. http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329600 I caught a line or two about how he plumbed in his water intercooler. It made me think a bit.

A while back Gus started me looking at how we often plumb in our turbos to the same sources as our throttle body heating circuit. The more I studied that circuit the more I realized that I was putting all that turbo water heat back into the engine and not out to the cooler. I have since rerouted it and have no doubt that my engine runs way cooler. I digressed here.... back on topic.

Boyko looks like he used a hybrid circuit, same supply but two different cooling circuits to cool his intercooler. It appeared that he ran his coolant into the turbo then into his intercooler. I was wondering how that worked out.

Boyko, Did I misunderstand your routing or does the turbo not add much heat to the intercooler? I know you were running roughly 8-ish psi boost so there may not have been much heat issue anyway.

As always inquisitive and looking for the "best" mousetrap. School me man.

Tony I am about to do mine as well, so I wanted to bump this back up to the top.
So the 2 main options are
1) standalone
or
2) plumb into existing cooling system.

Then it sound like you want to know in what order to run the coolant through the system?
ex. stock tunnel cooler-motor-turbo-intercooler-back to tunnel
stock tunnel cooler-motor-intercooler-turbo-back to tunnel
etc...

Maybe cooling turbo first, made the intake temps cooler which then the intercooler had less work to do?

Im just going to through this out there, never tried it but....

returning coolant from tunnel first into inner-cooler, then t into line and take a small pump and check valve and feed turbo, main line then into motor. Right after motor t into line again and this is where turbo coolant line dumps after motor then off into tunnel again?

Premium Features

Back