• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo performance charge temps and design

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
we have been getting alot of call from guys asking very indepth questions about our turbo set ups and our opinions. the intercooler and water to air are always brought up. i just want to open this up and give some insight of why we do what we do when it come to charge temps.

Charge temps in the charge tube are not always the correct place to measure air temp. let me tell you why we feel this way.

Everyone always talks charge tube temp. It is important to know what air temp the motor is seeing. Also what is happing. so that everything can be tuned corretly thru the ecu. well on a two stroke where is the last place that we should be concerned about having high air temps. The crank case right. So hear me out for a min.

since the vipec came into our habdwe have been testing alot of theroys and this is some tings we have found.

When you inject fuel into a charge tube you can drop temp by 60-70 degrees c
We have installed a injector 6" in front of a iat sensor. Showing 54 or 56 c charge temps.

OK there is alot happing after that injection of fuel. Alot of reheating of the air by the charge tube, throttle bodies, and case. Making the actual charge hotter than the reading.

We inject our fuel right as it goes in to the case. Bring our charge temp down right at the last second that we can. making sure that air temps that the motor sees are as low as possible.

We have logged motor case temps and found that it consitantly runs temps of 45-60 c air temps.
that is where power is made. loggs were also taken on 60 f degree days.

This is with no intercooler or water to air.

We also have found that the factories are consistatly making the cases smaller and smaller for epa reasons. So when we have a motor with a small case. The scavaging effect of the motor leaves very little air/fuel mixture in the case after one stroke.

With this happening. On and off throttle puts us into a stale mate mode with the turbo. the turbo needs to build boost to push air. The motor needs air to run and push the turbo. neither can go. so stale mate happens. with water to air and intercooler the stale mate mode becomes bigger. Even with no pressure drop across the intercooler it still slows down the velocity/volume of air going thru the core.

So where does these things leave us.

We need to cool air at the last second possible for air motor temps. We need to calculate a air box,intake, and charge tube combo with no restrictions. One that will supply enough air fast enough and have enough air for at least 1 revolution of the motor squared. We need a turbo that wants to flow air and not wait to be told what to do. There will be no raising of port timing thru porting of the motor to get the air out of the cylinder faster. This takes away our torque curve.

We do it right

That is how the turbo performance kit has come to be. All of these things have been hashed,thought out, designed and redesigned since 2009 on the etec. We also have never had a tuning tool like the vipec that will give us the info we need to make things better.

Sorry my dear friends we must start designing and thinking in a different manner. The old ways of thinking are being changed. the sport is moving forward and Turbo performance is on the cutting edge.

:face-icon-small-hap

A
Dec 19, 2011
so you believe the cons of the intercooler outweigh the pros?

And it is true the injection of fuel lowers temps. Same can be said about every other fuel injector going into the intake stream of all turbo kits.

If you are getting low charge temps in the crank case, can't they be even lower with the addition of an intercooler?

Not bashing at all here bryce. I want the turbo my 08 xp and it will be one of your kits. I was planning on adding an intercooler to it. I just feel there is always something left on the table without intercoolers.

Think its awesome you would take the time to give us some understanding on how you get the job done.

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I was thinking the same thing. If you can effectively lower charge temps with fuel, wouldnt you see twice the gains by lowering the charge temps with an inter cooler and then lowering them even further with the fuel?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Agreed with both above, why not add a WA intercooler to add to the cooling??.. What do you have against a WA intercooler?

Isn't everyone cooling charge temps with fuel?

I love your kit and options you have, just wish you would ad a WA intercooler

snowlovers

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Utah and Meeker Colo.
only way to reach Bryce?

Bryce, just letting you know that i posted my sled here to sell for 8000 so if you have anyone interested while you are fixing it the price is lower. also will sell just the kit to.

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
Bryce, just letting you know that i posted my sled here to sell for 8000 so if you have anyone interested while you are fixing it the price is lower. also will sell just the kit to.

Why don't you send Bryce a private message this post has nothing to do with the topic .

D
Jan 13, 2011
brycter makes some good points. On lower boost applications too low iat will make atomizing fuel difficult. Also the loss of restriction from not having the intercooler will probably make the same hp with less psi compaired to the intercooled set up. It is critical imo to draw air from outside of the cowl. The cooler the air the turbo injests the cooler the charge air temp will be. -Curtis

Last edited:
Premium Features