• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo oil check-valve failure

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Let's see if we can re-invigorate the Twisted section.

Regarding oil to turbo. One problem I had last year was a failure in one of the check valves coming off the pump. The valve stopped being a one way check valve and was allowing oil to drain back into the pump, effectively purging the oil line to the turbo. It took almost 10 minutes for the line to fill back up with oil and begin re-supplying oil to the turbo. I don't know if this is an issue or not, as these types of turbos really need very little oil to be happy; however, I thought I'd pass on the info.

I am talking about the Arctic Cat check valves on the stock oil pump. Not something supplied by Twisted Turbos

I was checking my oil flow about every other ride and the oil was always right there everytime when the check valves were working properly. Maybe a light on a low pressure actuator switch isn't a bad idea; however, oil pressure is so low I doubt any current sending units would work properly. Perhaps some type of an oil flow meter would work.

Again, I don't know if it's a big deal or not, I just like the idea of oil making its was to the turbo bearing when it's spinning. Just food/oil for thought.

Last edited:
H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
- how did you initially find this issue?
- hope you didn't melt a turbo bearing, right?

and, your talking about the brass check valve just outside the pump right?.....i know for sure this sucker is a nasty bottle neck as i spent way too long today purging my oil line of air, im starting another thread about it

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
- how did you initially find this issue?
- hope you didn't melt a turbo bearing, right?

and, your talking about the brass check valve just outside the pump right?.....i know for sure this sucker is a nasty bottle neck as i spent way too long today purging my oil line of air, im starting another thread about it

I noticed oil was not readily available when I cracked open the incoming turbo oil line, I assumed I had an issue with the oil feeding back into the system, as I didn't have any oil leaks. (I was checking this every other ride, just because I'm that anal). First stop was the brass check valves; Sure enough, one of them was allowing the oil drain back into the pump. I changed it out to a new one and no more problems. The system was still supplying oil to the turbo, it just had that lag time on initial startup. No turbo damage on mine at all. I'm not sure if the check valves are a bottle neck or not, as those pumps do not put out very much oil anyway. I thought about running the engine with the check valve removed to see just how much oil it does put out. When it's all primed up, mine was dripping about one drop per second to the center section turbo bearing. You're right, this oil system does take a long time to prime. I did not allow the turbo to turn while the oil system is priming. This type of bearing system is easy to over oil so maybe this one drip per second is about right. I don't seem to be hearing about any bearing failures.

Just starting my new turbo project. Kinda late, I know.....hope this is an epic year for snow.

Last edited:
Premium Features