• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TURBO KMOD GUYS- ???'S

av8er

Lifetime Membership
I have an 09 m8 Sp 162 with a Twisted 2871 running 10 psi straight avgas, I have been running a 3" with a Kmod conversion, last season, Yesterday I traded a guy for a 174 x2.5CE and a full Kmod skid with Raptors, tested it today, rode with a friend on a 2011 skidoo summit x800 with a 174 x2.5ce, full slp setup about 171 Hp, he weighs 220, I weigh 260, basically he was out climbing me , we would go up a hill his track was about 1-1.5 feet deep, my track was a trench about 2-2.5 feet deep. his limiter strap is sucked up a ton. he suggested i put a 4x4 piece of wood under my skid and suck up and tighten my limiter strap at least 1-2 inches to change the approach angle of my track to the snow, his is a shallow rise my much steeper. thoughts?? suggestions??? Thank U

Last edited:
Where you at with the quick coupler and whats the measurement from the front mount to the bottom of the hifax?

I would call Kevin first.

My thoughts have always been tighten front limiter to pull skis down, let them out to go up the hill I dont know why a stocker would out climb a turbo ???

oh ya I sure like my k-mod set it up acording to instructions and left it there ,on #3 it will still flip over backwards but it handels really nice,#4 works for the steep chutes , I know it workes better all around than stock

coupler on #1

didn't have a lot of ski lift, I know that the shocks are turned up a little too high as far as the amount of thread showing on the shaft, there are lots of threads showing, but i was told that had to do with ride height. I have him by at least 65 HP, I want my sled to trench less and stay up more on top of the snow, the 3" track created quite a bit of lift, but also dug a he11 of a hole at times

Last edited:
Did you try putting your coupling block to setting 1? My m1000 in the really deep fluffy snow has a hard time pulling out of a trench if the skis don't come out of the snow a foot or two. I think if you suck up the limiter straps it will trench worse. These skids need to be able to pull the front end up a bit to hop on top of the snow.

yes, the coupler was on 1 all day

talked to kevin, he wants me to measure the spring lengths with the weight off the sled, and check what position the limiter straps are at, if the full kmod skid is the same as the conversion, there was only one setting 12.5" tall from the ground period.

The full kit will have different measurements. I have the full skid in my stock pro and I set it to 12.5". The instructions say 12" for a turbo application.

On the 1 setting, my sled lifts the skis all the time. VERY playful.

I've set it to 3 a couple of times while climbing and it works awesome. Lifts the skis a bit, leaps onto the snow, and then fairly planted. And this is on a 155. I'm ~210lbs and haven't touched the stock shock settings from Raptor/KMOD.

If you're hill climbing, turn your coupler up. It makes a huge difference on my sled.

I got the coupling down , i had a conversion before this,

i looked up the setup instructions on kmod's web page and am going to confirm the 12" front strap measurement, and the unloaded spring lengths tonight, setting the coupler at a 2-3 probably would of been a better setting for the snow conditions.

If I remember right start with the rear spring at 10-10.25" and the front at 7.5". Also go to 10 clicks on the rear shock. I had my rear spring 4 turns too tight and the front three too lose and 5 clicks on the rear shock. Boy howdy can that 3" track trench on that setup. At 5 clicks on the rear shock with your weight you will bottom out on the creek crossings and the bumps. 12" strap.. I also ride with the block on #4 unless the trail is really rough then I will back it off.

Last edited:
Changed just about everything , you could on the skid last night

sucked the limiter strap down to hole #2, was on 1st hole as long as it would go, lengthened the preload on the front shock, increased the pre load on the rear shock, and increased the dampening. the rear shock basically had zero preload on it. exact setup specs are 8" spring measurement in the front shock, 9 7/8" on the rear plus 4 turns tighter-didn't measure after the 4 turns. limiter straps in 2nd hole, and rear clicker adjusted to 9 clicks- these were Kevin's exact setup recommendations for me- should be a new animal now.

I will update after this weekend.

excited to see the results myself

174lft.jpg 174rt.jpg raptors.jpg

Last edited:
Sled is now kickin AZZ

I rode it today it was a bluebird day, the change in setup made such a huge improvement, sled would get up on the snow much better, it rode real nice, and did not trench like before, yes it would dig when put to the test, but performed so much better. i was climbing like a champ.

Last edited:
9 7/8s plus 4 turns? referring the 4 turns to the reservoir or the shock? i beleive he was referring to 4 turns (clicks) on the resy, just worth a try if you were adding 4 turns to the spring

4 turns to the Spring

then I set the clicker to 9 clicks from the zero position

Premium Features

Back