• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Intake Filters

A

Arctic Thunder

Ok, heres the deal, I have about 200 miles on my turbo. I have been running just a screen and a sock over the screen. I pulled the turbo apart and was looking inside the compressor section and the charge tube. I was surprised at the amount of materail stuck inside the turbo and tube. This belt dust/whatever has to go straight to the motor. I know a lot of people run this setup. What do others think?

My plan is to run a filter and a water repelling sock over the filters. I don't plan to run more than 10lbs of boost. I am hoping the filter doesn't clog up wiht fine powder or ice over.

Thunder

Prefilter I am going to run.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5060DK&cst=81515.1.000

I am running a Spectre filter. I know K&N is the top dog but not worth Twice the money IMO.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/index.php/catalog/air-filters/air-filters-racing-cone/4-mounting-flanges/hprtm-filter-3-3-5-4-inlet-blue-chrome-1.html

Turbo Filter 1.20 (1).jpg Turbo Filter 1.20 (2).jpg Turbo Filter 1.20 (3).jpg Turbo Filter 1.20 (4).jpg Turbo Filter 1.20 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Push used to use a Spectre filter and then switched to the current cage and sock filter. Everyone said the new filter was a huge improvement. I don't know what was suppose to be better or what was bad about the Spectre filter.

Well if thats what your going to run id love to take your cage and prefilter off your hands

Those filters are quite restrictive! I ran a spectre and a k&n last year on my tm1000 for a while before I switched to a cage and prefilter! Charge temps came down and the sled ran much better in pre-boost situations.

The spectre filter is the better choice between it and the K&n. Thats what the turbo builders told me anyway! I cant say I saw alot of difference between K&N and spectre but I could defenitly see a differance with the cage and pre filter

Those filters are quite restrictive! I ran a spectre and a k&n last year on my tm1000 for a while before I switched to a cage and prefilter! Charge temps came down and the sled ran much better in pre-boost situations.

The spectre filter is the better choice between it and the K&n. Thats what the turbo builders told me anyway! I cant say I saw alot of difference between K&N and spectre but I could defenitly see a differance with the cage and pre filter

I have the cage and prefilter. I can see how the restricted air flow would have a pretty large affect on the off idle response and bottom end. Once on boost it might be fine but when your just tying to suck air through the filter and the turbo off idle it would be pretty restrictive.

Again thought I would toss the idea out and see what others have found. So thanks for your info.

I think I'll stick with my cage and prefilter then.

Thunder

Not sure about this application but i know on my truck i had a k&n filter system and kept it maintained And every time i took it off the inside of the charge tube was lined with dirt or thick fine dust. The same was going through the motor. i assume it would be the same on a sled as you stated the belt dust can not be good for things in there.

filters suck... i ran a single turbo sled with various combos of air filter, pre filter w/cage and open inlet and there was noticable response gains to every one of them... every little amount of vaccum on the turbo inlet = higher charge temps and slower response.

how on earth did your turbo "eat" your filter?

filters suck... i ran a single turbo sled with various combos of air filter, pre filter w/cage and open inlet and there was noticable response gains to every one of them... every little amount of vaccum on the turbo inlet = higher charge temps and slower response.

how on earth did your turbo "eat" your filter?

I had a really light weight cage built for the sock. So I was running just a sock and a metal cage. The cage didn't like the vibration from the turbo/sled. It started to come apart and a few of the little pieces went in through the compressor. OUCH!!! (no piston damage or anything thank goodness)

So I was just thinking about how to keep that from happening again.

But it sounds like something a person should look at from time to time for sure. I am sure if I would have removed the sock a few times I would have seen the small cracks prior to EATING the darn thing.

But general consensis is no K&N or Spectre filter. metal cage and sock is the ticket.

Thanks

Thunder

Where is the cheapest place to buy a cage and sock? I have only seen them for sale for $75, which seems ridiculous to me for what it is.

The cheapest way is to make a cage out of metal mesh. Stucco mesh or tile backer stuff. Just roll some around your turbo inlet and join it with wire. I've seen it jointed with zip ties but don't trust them. Leave the end open but fold the edges over. Then just get a Outerwears sock to cover it. They have different sizes listed on their site. I use a 20-1190 for a 4 inch inlet.

stucco_wire_mesh.jpg

spectre filter

I have run both. I have a spectre filter on my M1000 TT RG now just because the other screen filter was getting holes in it. I don't notice any differance.

I think you should try it, switch it back and forth and let us know. Its easy to switch 1 clamp. I only run 10lbs as well and I can't tell the differance.

I have run both. I have a spectre filter on my M1000 TT RG now just because the other screen filter was getting holes in it. I don't notice any differance.

I think you should try it, switch it back and forth and let us know. Its easy to switch 1 clamp. I only run 10lbs as well and I can't tell the differance.

Well crap I just took the Spectre filter back and got my money back! :)

Indeep, i had the same (looking) material and if vibrated apart and went in through the compressor little pieces going in and even smaller pieces going out. (along with parts of the compressor wheel)

Thunder

Well crap I just took the Spectre filter back and got my money back! :)

Indeep, i had the same (looking) material and if vibrated apart and went in through the compressor little pieces going in and even smaller pieces going out. (along with parts of the compressor wheel)

Thunder

That sucks dude! Sorry to hear that

filter

I have ran about everything under the sun trying different things and the Filter Kevin Posted above is the best combo I have found.... Spend a few bucks and get what works. This is light, works great and your turbo won't eat it for dinner!

I use to run a filter. It wud get wet from snow dust. I made a cold air intake and went to a boondocker cage and sock. Will never go back to a filter. Look inside the intake on any naturally aspirated sled and u will see the same junk as u do in ur turbo. If ur turbo intake is on the forward side of the turbo like push, bd in wud suggest making a cold air out of the hood. When I switch to a cai it was a huge difference in spool. Charge temp. Boost. All around 200% worth it.

Last edited:
If you can weld, get a 2 inch piece of 4 inch aluminum pipe, bend some 3/16 tig rod into a cage and tack the sides to the pipe and you've got a super cheap cage.. It requires a coupler to attach to the turbo. I run a 90 degree elbow and put the filter in the elbow. Ovs sells a nice Outerwears prefilter for $20-25 that has been good.

Premium Features

Back