• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo head, what choices??

K

Kyle91rs

Running a 12 proclimb m8, stock head, wanna try for 14psi on a combination turbo kit, ovs hot side with garret 2871, boondocker intercooled cold side, running straight avgas, I do all my riding in REvelstoke bc around 5-8500ft. I do a fair bit of tree riding so I don't want to sacrifice any bottom end. What's everyone going with these days?? I inquired about a bikeman turbo head. They said their compression is 10.5:1, is that too low for my style of riding?

Kelsey, RKT.

If you want a head that works with whatever parameters you're shooting for... he's the guy, rather than a one size fits all "turbo head" from someone like Bikeman. Bikeman has come a long way in the last few years, but Kelsey is plain & simple the man for heads. He might talk SH** about turbos when selling his kits, but he knows way more about them than people think.

ok, end sales pitch, got to call him & collect my $.75 commission...:face-icon-small-hap HAHA!

Brent Linderman at arctic edge motorsports in the crownest pass can cut your factory head for exactly what you want it to do. His turbo motor work RIPS, and he's local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I second Brent at Arctic Edge! Been getting work done there for years now and have never had a single complaint. He won't sell you whats not needed and he'll straight up tell you if what your after is achievable or not the way your planning. 403-564-4673 is the shop number.

Thanks a lot guys!

Another tech question....

What kind of pistons are you guys going with when doing top end rebuilds? Stock AC pistons or aftermarket?

Again I'd say talk to Brent but this is what he told me to do (and what I bought from him.)
2010 cat pistons because they are lighter and have the oil relief holes, 2010 base gasket because it's opened up more for the cooling ports and 2009 wrist pins because they are stronger than the HO motor pins. Just what he told and showed me when I did my top end this summer.

Thanks a lot guys!

Another tech question....

What kind of pistons are you guys going with when doing top end rebuilds? Stock AC pistons or aftermarket?

I would stick with stock components with AC. lots of people have lots of high boost miles on them with little to no trouble

Ride Revy all year also. Tight tree riding. Ran mine for first few trips on stock head. Straight AV. Few days wen it was stupid deep down low I wish I coulda went more boost (8lbs-4.5k feet) Kept hitting deto. But then I found out had screwed reeds cuz toasted them the next day. Anyways that got me to get a turbo cut from linderman. Ran all last season 10-12 psi never hit deto. Gunna try an see if I can go 14 up higher this year also. To be honest I couldn't tell bottom end difference but I'm sure if you could switch the head on the hill within a minute of each other you might feel it somewhat. I'm happy I went with turbo head because it seems when you run more boost it just builds it faster (keeping waste gate closed longer) an makes up for the bottom anyways.

Premium Features

Back