• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

truck maintenance

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
hey Im having trouble with my truck and I was wondering if anyone from the forum can fix it and how much cash it would cost. I have a 2000 chevy silverado 4.3 v6 manual and it needs a top end rebuild. its burning a lot of oil and it runs like crap. any info about price and people to fix it would be great. thanks.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Sure its just the top end?? Your best bet would be to go through the whole engine, being a 2000 its prob got a few miles. Freshen up the bottom end then youll have blow by because the rings are weak. Seen it too many times in my line of work.:D Good engine and there cheap to go through as long as it hasnt been run wore out too long.

T
Just get a new long block from GM. Might be expensive, but the most reliable way. Having your engine rebuilt could save you some coin, but you never know how much machine work it will need. With labor, parts, and machine work, it could cost more than a new long block. I seen some used 4.3's on craigslist in the past, but not sure if they would work in your truck or not.

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
I dont have a shop to work in or tools to use anymore since I moved to anchorage. I would rather just pay someone to do it right. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost or could do it for me and id pay them cash. Im trying not to have to buy a new truck.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
I dont have a shop to work in or tools to use anymore since I moved to anchorage. I would rather just pay someone to do it right. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost or could do it for me and id pay them cash. Im trying not to have to buy a new truck.

Ill get you a quote on parts and labor for both a top end and one for a overhaul. Your best bet would be with a long block especially paying someone labor. I charge 25 an hour sleds, boats or autos. So already your miles ahead of a shop. And I love GM so its a bonus for me. Ill pm you tomrrow. I work on the slope as a mechanic at ASRC's fleet shop (all Duramax trucks).

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
ahh so ur the reason my work truck has been taking so long to get out of pm... :D

yea what most of them are say its gonna be better in the long run to freshen up what u can. if your gonna do the top end the least u can do is get a look at what the rest of the motor is doing

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
hmm..should I take the 9th and the 10th off?the 9th to throw a track in the sled and the 10th to ride?..think doug will get any kitchen passes this year?

Are you kidding. Melissa is a Sweetheart, and besides, even she can only take so much Dougy and will kick him out every other weekend just to get him out of her hair! :D:beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Are you kidding. Melissa is a Sweetheart, and besides, even she can only take so much Dougy and will kick him out every other weekend just to get him out of her hair! :D:beer;

There is so much to learn from the "wise one" on how to get your ol lady to let you go riding......:D

Thanks for sparing me the tag team guys I appreciate that Ill repay that debt later....

Oh by the way Tim i still have stuck footage of you BUDDY!!!:D Dont make me break that out, Doug and Mike would like that too much:eek::D

Premium Features