• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailerable snowmobile cover recomendations

K
Feb 26, 2013
Looking for opinions on a trailerable snowmobile cover. Last year I bought a offbrand 600 denier cover from ebay. It ripped before the season was even up. Paid around $70 bucks for it. Complete waste of money.

I've got some old polaris canvas type covers for my rmk's that seem to be a lot better and stronger. I don't know if the brand covers are this way or not these days.

Need covers for a m6 and m8 153. Thanks

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I run the factory PREMIUM covers. They are made of nylon not canvas, fit like they should and don't freeze solid when they get wet.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I have the Skinz. Have about 3000 miles on it. Works great. I didn't believe the waterproof claim. I took the hose to it at point blank range with the nozzle on a straight stream. Not a drop of water passed through.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I have the Skinz. Have about 3000 miles on it. Works great. I didn't believe the waterproof claim. I took the hose to it at point blank range with the nozzle on a straight stream. Not a drop of water passed through.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I have the Skinz too, but mine don't sound like yours...

Mine are NOT waterproof. No way. They're more like a sponge. Some amount of road debris actually penetrates mine and the sleds are dirty when I pull the covers.

There is NO gas panel on them. Fueling up with the covers on SUCKS.

The fit on a 155 is REALLY tight. The fit on a 163, well, I have to have the ramp of my deck behind the sled and lean with all my body weight to hook it on the bumper.

I had to patch holes where the covers go over the ends of the bars. There are holes where it hooks on the rear bumper too, but I stopped caring about those.

The straps suck, I'm replacing mine with adjustable bungee cords for this year. The tunnel edge cut one of them off last year so it only had 2 straps for half the season.

Would I ever spend $400 for another one? Hell no.

BTW, the "water-proof" Skinz Powderpak is definitely NOT waterproof either.

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
SKINZ Protective gear

Over the past 10 years the only cover that i found worth owning has been the SPG covrs, have wore out completly 3 covers in that time, keeping at least 2 sleds covered on the trailer from Thanksgiving til the snow runs out in May or June for those years, in previous years before the SKG covers, I have used factory Premium covers, and just about every after market cover over the years.
Skinz is Premium in price, but in this case you are getting what you pay for, I have had 2" of ice on the front and cover was never been froze or stuck to the hood or windshield. This is 1 expense that I just bite the bullet and purchase a new 1 every 4 to 5 years.. Living at 7000 ft and covering the sleds all winter justs eats all other covers in 1 season. Only down fall is they are very tight when I put a new one on my 163's, need to put it on in the heated garage the first time and let it set for a while to stretch some, and yes the no gas flap is a pain, but you just get to work on the stretch some more.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R
Mar 10, 2010
I have just used the factory cover for the past 6-7 years. The only damage to it is the back piece that goes over the bumper, the ramp on my trailer wore a hole in it.
Only thing I do is stop by the car wash on the way home to clean off the grim/salt. Sure some dirt gets on the sled a little but once it's dry just brush it off.

W
Nov 10, 2010
I used the same skinz cover on 2 completly different sleds, so the cost was justified. Was it waterproof? no. But my sled was always cleaner than everyone elses. Did it rip? Yes the outer layer did. Had it repaired, it ripped again. Lasted 4 years so not bad i guess.
Really liked how it covered skiis and entire back of tunnel, no gas fill thing was not a huge issue, kinda a fight to put it on, using a towel to cover bars b4 putting on Helped. I give it an 7.5/10.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
factory cover is best bet. $$$$ but best best for fit and finish. Also found them to be better against the elements especially spring sun fade.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
A little tip for ya

Trailering covers will last longer if you do these two things:

1. The edges of todays running boards are pretty sharp. Go to the hardware store and buy two four foot pieces of 1/2" foam pipe insulation, trim to fit, and slide those on before you put your cover. No more cheese grading of your cover on a 1,000 mile trip.

2. As some have said, the handlebar ends wear through the cover. Go out to the garage and find two old tennis balls. Slice the tennis balls open just enough so that they fit over the ends of your handle bars. That provides a "snugger" fit between the tennis balls and the cover.

At the end of your trip before you take the cover off, lean in real close to your cover and you will hear it saying "Thank you, you saved my life" LOL

K
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Skins look nice but no fuel access means I have to carry a gas can that will get jacked while I'm sledding. Seems $1200 (for 3 sleds) would be better spent towards an enclosed trailer.

Looks like I'll have to go with OEM covers for $170 each.

Premium Features