• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Trimming (pics)

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I picked up a Craftsman Handi-Cut from Sears for 17.99 today and went at my track, nipping off most of the 'fingers' on the lugs.
Tool worked great. 1 blade will easily do 1 track, mine is a 155". Its quite sharp.
Probably a 30 minute job the way I went about it, but it went alot smoother than I expected.
Compared to my track porting/drilling days this is a snap.

Here are a few pics and a quick vid.
Was trying to show in the pics and vid some clipped and some not to give an idea of the difference.

01tracktrim.jpg

02tracktrim.jpg

03tracktrimcomplete.jpg

04tracktrimmed.jpg

Last edited:
M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
Was thinking of doing the same. I noticed you left a little of the nub on, that might help a bit with some side bite? I noticed when I press on the little nubs they do flex quite easy. This should stiffen up some. Let us know how you like it. Thanks for the write up and pics.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Yeah, I've read others just leaving a bit of the base of the finger left, it was easier to cut that way too...

If I don't notice much of a difference, I'll go at the outer lugs again, and nip the rest off.

I'm hoping this also helps for sidehilling in the setup snow...allow it to bite and dig into the snow better?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I did mine with a really sharp razor blade knife. left a tiny like 1/16" thick strip holding the nubs together. No difference in the deep but on hard pack its night and day traction

I would cut all the way accross then leave about a 1/4" then cut from the other side the rest off otherwise it would curve up.

Premium Features