• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track tension?

S
Jan 12, 2010
does anyone have any measurement or a close way to tell if you have the right track tension, its on a 2004 polaris 700 edge 144 it seems to tight right now.thanks

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
MY way is not the right way for alot of folks but here goes. I fine tune my tension on the snow. I put about three inches of slack in the middle of the track below your skid then ride the sled in some fairly deep snow and hammer it. If your track ratchets tighten it. Keep doing this until the ratcheting stops.
Some folks keep their sled in a heated garage or someplace that is warm and notice to much sag so they tighten their track to specs and take the sled out in the cold and the track shrinks back up. Tough on hifaxes.

Reactions: switchback0410
S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
The 04 switch 700 owners man says to use a ten # weight, 16"s ahead of rear idler wheel shaft. You should have 3/8 to 1/2 in. of slack between the track clip and the hi-fax. I choose to run mine with 1 in. or more for better perf and hi-fax temps. You just don't want it so loose that the drivers ratchet.

D
Sep 19, 2005
A loose track is self defeating....you will not gain performance nor will your hyfax run any cooler. Do as the manual suggests....
You are more prone to a whipping action or bunching in the front of the tunnel which could cause stabbing...

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
A loose track is self defeating....you will not gain performance nor will your hyfax run any cooler. Do as the manual suggests....
You are more prone to a whipping action or bunching in the front of the tunnel which could cause stabbing...

What he said ^^^ and maybe even a little tighter.
There is no advantage only disadvantages to running your track loose.
Example if your track is bit to loose not only will you possibly experience ratcheting..... but your lugs will hit the top of the tunnel when WOT and that will rob you of power.

S
Jan 12, 2010
ya thats the way i have always done it too its just up in northern mn we aint got hardly any snow so i just i got it where it looks about right for now tell we get some snow

Y
Dec 23, 2009
Ak
SDCoyote is exactly right. Thats how i tension my 05 700 and have had no ratcheting since. But any looser and it would ratchet. If your track is too tight you will lose a little power because of the rolling friction, but its alot worse to ratchet on a big pull.

Premium Features