• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Clips - Which ones to order and what Installation tool

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am looking at how the non clipped portions of the 3" track windows on my 2015 Proclimb are being eaten away because the track is clipped every other window to save weight. I would like to save what's left of the track windows on my 2015 and to add track clips to the unclipped portions of this track and to my 165" Alpha One. What track clips and installation tool do you recommend.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The alpha clips are a dealer only item and are quite expensive.
I never heard of anybody having wear on their 3” twin rail track. I’d look up the clips on the western power sports catalog on their website and order.
Are you wanting to clip the track on the sled or remove the track?
The best track clip tool I’ve ever used was one I made out of a harbor freight bolt cutter. Look up the how to video on YouTube.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Madmax. I will watch the video.

I want to do the track clips with the tracks on the sled.

I swapped out the 2.6" track on my 2015 for a used 3". It had wear on the rubber in the cross ribbing between the track clips when I bought the track.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I ordered this Camso clip (I’ll double check my order but pretty sure this was the clip), then made my own tool by grinding the shape needed onto bolt cutters. Easy peasy.

93872377-1BC3-486C-8D6E-BB7CB1001EB8.png

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Forgot to mention I went with these instead of alpha clips because if I’m adding rotating weight I wanted to add the least amount of lbs as these are half the size and only fit one window. I then only added them under the lug side that is unsupported so pressure from lug hits the clip.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Forgot to mention I went with these instead of alpha clips because if I’m adding rotating weight I wanted to add the least amount of lbs as these are half the size and only fit one window. I then only added them under the lug side that is unsupported so pressure from lug hits the clip.

Don't worry about clip rotating weight as it accelerates almost exactly at the same rate as the overall sled, which means adding 7 lbs of clip weight on a 700 lb (rider and sled) machine only slows down acceleration by about 1%, which is almost un-detectable by your butt dyno. Same applies to fuel usage, can you detect a change in sled accel after burning one gal of gas? How about detecting the 1% loss due to an altitude rise of 300 ft ?

Cinno

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I put clips on one side of my track with the paddles and found it actually made it rub heavy on the side with out the clips anyways. I had added a few extra alpha guide clips because it would help of course guide the track.

Don't worry about weight at the end of the day you won't feel it lol

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I used a transfer gage (also called tracing profile gage) to get the profile of a clip on the track, then ground that profile into the bolt cutters. You may find as I did you have to grind a bit of relief into bottom of cutters where it touches the “slider” side of clip. If not, because of the path the cutters travel to crimp the clip, it can mark up the Clip, and you don’t want that obviously.

I got mine pretty dang close but to be safe each clip got a small piece of duct tape just in case.

Note that this can be done without removing track of its fully loose and a buddy folding the track on edge for access to inside windows.

I’ll try to dig up my cutters, well, crimpers now, and take a pic tomorrow so you get a rough idea.

Edit: forgot to mention Frostbite, I actually made the crimper tighter than the profile a bit. This is because the clip metal will want to spring back a small bit. Order an extra clip so you have a tester if it doesn’t go right on first try. Work your way up to the correct crimp shape and shouldn’t have any issues.

Last edited:

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I made my own clip tool out of a set of $12 Harbor Freight bolt cutters . Worked super good

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Here’s the link to bolt cutter/track clip tool

This by far is the best track clip tool I’ve ever used (if you make it correctly).

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I actually bought clips and a tool online. I fully clipped my AXYS pretty cheap. And the tool is two piece, so it allows you to clip with the track on the sled. Super easy.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Live2ride777 Here is what I have used in the past- they don't last much past 5 to 6 tracks but not that expensive either.
It's a 2 piece so you can install clips with the track installed.

Premium Features