• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tools& pistons for a 02 summitt

my 02 800 summitt has 3500 miles on org. eng.was hopping to trade up but new house means no new sled .
fig. id do a top end rebild,what sec.tools do need to get?
what pistons to use?
thancks

That's about where my crank went south, had that replaced along with an overbore top end. Last 2 springs have been heartbreakers with sled being down due to waiting on top-ends, season cut short.:mad::(

If money were no object, would be looking at turbo 4-stroke.

Good luck.

my 02 800 summitt has 3500 miles on org. eng.was hopping to trade up but new house means no new sled .
what pistons to use?
thancks
I did mine with just a few simple hand tools...however with that many miles you should open up the case and redo the crank bearings. You will need a puller for the fly wheel. Not that hard of a job...you will have cageless needle bearings on the wrist pins that scatter everywhere . I replaced with caged bearings. And get your self a set of Allen wrenchs with the rounded head ...the kind that pivot a little for the exhaust manifold. I used the doulble ring pistons , way less power fade. Dino

what pistons to use?
thancks

tackbtch is right, do the lower seals and bearings for sure. Puller for the mag flywheel, you can use an automotive one. Don't screw the puller bolts too far past the flywheel, you will hit the stator/wires/etc, behind the flywheel. Once you get the bolts into the flywheel, don't rotate the crank. You may need to heat the flywheel to help it pop off. You cannot split the cases with the flywheel on, there is a bolt that you need to remove behind it before the cases will split fully.

We have had good luck with the SPX pistons. Page 633.
http://www.spxonline.com/spx/09snow/snow_09_pdf/625-634.pdf

Hope that helps.

NSC

I'd run the RKT replacement pistons, very nice pistons, and they are backed up with Kelsey's endless knowledge. I have around a thousand miles on mine and have been very pleased.

YES! Do the crank, it may not need bearings, but will probably need seals, alot cheaper to do it now than to burn it down and have to do it anyways!

Also, check the Nic on the cylinder walls, mine was wore down to aluminum and had to be re-coated, Millenium did them for me, a NiCom coating that actually absorbs the oil, very nice setup, had the top end off and could "feel" the oil the walls had soaked up, very impressive!

http://www.2strokeheads.com/Ski_Doo_800_Replacement_Dual_Ring_Piston.htm

http://www.mt-llc.com/Snowmobiles/snowmobiles.html

Top End

If the seal behind the clutch is still tight we have been able to run a bottom end 7500 miles+, so you may not need a lower end job. If you catch the grease just starting to come out a rebuild with seals and grease is enough to get it back in service.

On the top end a piston pin puller makes the job easy. The cageless bearings are no problem if you get a new set with the holder for installation. Cage bearings work great too. We have used the Wiesco kits and they are fine although you need to warm it up before you get on the throttle hard.

If you are a super hard rider ignore everything above because you my really need a complete job if its shot.

Premium Features

Back