• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To Ice Scratch, or Not to Ice scratch

D

Donm

Oct 29, 2012
Covington WA
Picked up a new 2013 xm 154 and was planning on putting scratchers on it as where I ride it's not unusual to have six miles or so of hardpack forest service road to ride before the good stuff. I had thought scratchers were for lubrication of the track and cooling but I read somewhere that the ski doo's have great cooling so scratchers aren't necessary.

Since I read that on the internet I believed it! But figured I should also ask on the internet for confirmation :face-icon-small-ton

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
You'll overheat it if you run long enough on hard pack without scratchers. I personnelly don't like them but I also avoid riding in conditions where I need them. In my riding spots snow that is that hard out of the gate typically translates into poor overall conditions so I don't ride. IMO if you plan on riding hard pack put them on. Enjoy your season and good luck.

Reactions: Matte Murder

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
We put some on dads new xm 154". Even if skidoo does have good cooling, why not have the extra insurance to help out with cooling if you need it? U dont have to use them, but if u dont have them and need them, your screwed.

If it was my sled id have a set on them.

just my .02

Reactions: SHEFFY40

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
If XPs are any indication, you'll want scratchers for all the road approaches around here in the spring.

D

Donm

Oct 29, 2012
Covington WA
Ok, ordered a pair of Dura Flex scratchers. Small investment for the security I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I don't like the cable kind because they don't provide enough downward pressure to work in the hardest conditions. We tried them and they sucked, but others swear by them. YMMV.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
I ran mine this weekend without scratchers and the heat light came on with in a few miles on hard pack. Ordered scratchers yesterday.

G

gorilla

Feb 9, 2012
middle of no where
I will put down scratchers at the first sign that I'm not "flipping" up enough snow. Meaning, if there isn't a rooster tail behind you, put them down. Some will say the cable scratchers suck, but I am running 1 cable scratcher with a carbide tip and it only beeped at me one trip. Almost solid ice on a long, up hill climb. 5 sleds all beeped at some point, even the ones with "traditional" scratchers. This season, I'm running 2 cable scratchers with carbide tips and hope the sled never heats up. Since I have carbide tips, I put them down often since they will take a beating. More snow/ice on the cooler and hyfax sliders is always better than less.

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Scratchers are indeed a necessity for hard pack and most road conditions.

Now if I could just remember to raise them before using reverse :face-icon-small-fro

Reactions: crestview

wileybird

Premium Member
Feb 20, 2011
yes scratchers are a good investment. i have the cable ones as well and they are ok but nothing to brag about.

G

Grizzly Mtn

Jan 14, 2009
Central Oregon
skidooking said:
Get ahold of Summitseeker and get a set of his scratchers double the throw of snow. Scratchers all the way!
If anyone is looking for cable ice scratchers, I am a dealer for dura flex cable Ice scratchers
You can send me a pm or give me a call and i can answer any questions. Thanks
Jim Valentine
owner
Grizzly Mtn products LLC
541 233 6768

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

medicman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Just put them on.. If you don't need them they can be tucked up and out of the way. But that time when it's icy or hard packed snow your gonna wish you had them on.. Just my two cents...:face-icon-small-hap

Aug 26, 2012
Can anyone post a pic of where they're mounting their cable scratchers? I have a set but it looks like they'll just get in the way of the spring and stuff.

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
SCRATCHERS

I BOUGHT A PAIR FROM SUMMIT SEEKER FOR MY 09 XP.GREAT PRODUCT AND GREAT SERVICE,STILL RUNNING THE SAME SET I BOUGHT IN 09.

Premium Features