• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tire/rim question for two place trailer

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I currently have 4.80x12 tires on a single axle tilt deck. with leaf springs above the axle. it looks like i could up size to a 13" rim and still clear without going to a larger spacer under the leaf spring. i'm trying to get a more stable ride on the turns and a better load carrying capacity. ideally it'd carry 900lbs or more per tire and have a sidewall that won't roll on me.

have any ideas? fat tires, narrow tires, 6 ply?

i'm considering something like this 20.5 x 8.0 x 10"
it's wider but not taller and carries 910 per tire in load range B or more with more plys. thoughts?

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Snowbird, like you, I like having enough tire under me. I prefer to have way more tire than the possible load, so that I'm never pushing the tire. This means less flex and roll which equates to less heat, which equals healthier tires.

Here's some things that you can check to evaluate fit.

Crawl under the trailer and find the sticker/stamp on the axle, it will tell you the rated capacity of the axle. That will determine if you can carry more weight.

Measure above the tire, be sure to account for spring sag of a loaded trailer.
Measure the fit to the wheel well, if your trailer has them. You don't want a drag there to eat into the tire.

Measure the distance between the tire and the trailer frame/suspension whichever is closer to the tire. This measurement is often over looked because it's an area that you don't see, so don't think of.

With these measurements in hand, an online search of 'trailer tires' will bring provide tire dimensions. And you can determine the largest heaviest duty tire that will safely fit.

Good Luck!

Bag

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
i'm picking up some 10 ply 20.5x8x10's in the morning. they should handle more weight than i'll ever need on that trailer. even if i go 4-stroke i'll have weight to spare! they're .2" shorter than my current tire, so clearance won't be an issue.

thanks for the help and i'll let you know how they ride on my trip up to targhee next week.

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
13"

If it was me i would go with 175/80R13 6ply's It will pull and ride better than the bias tire and be more stable for you. I've done this on a couple of trailers and would NOT go back to the bias tire no way no how! My .02 cents
Shortman

Premium Features