• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for me to learn some stuff

P
Dec 15, 2018
I am feeling a LITTLE more comfortable on my snowmobile and realize I need to learn to actually set it up. Sad yes I haven't but iam from a non snowmobile family and never rode one till 52yrs old so...I read about shocks last night and how to set them but iam a really small guy 5'5" 145 . My manual has no advice for pressure. I have a 2016 m6000 141x2.6. I've been trying to learn mountain riding not trail but obviously I go on trails and I suck and fall over and get stuck alot. Anyway after reading I think my shocks are way to stiff at 100lbs in front. I can barely pull it on edge on drive way. So these are fox float 3. Should I run 55-60 or should I make it easy to pull over and go from there? Iam pretty small armed and puney it's pretty hard fir me to do without throttle and hill set up. Also where should I be on skid? I have a coil spring shock w/ air in front and a air shock in back. Big giant loaded post!!!! Sorry but the factory set up is for a 210lb dude so that's off. I'd also like to know if I could upgrade these shocks and use them on the 2021 blast I have? Ok thanks!!

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My base on that sled is 85 front, 145 rear.

I go up or down a bit depending which kid is on it, you could probably start at 65, 145 and adjust to feel.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok cool thanks! Just for educations sake, my rear shock was 100lb and my fronts where 90 off the ground. My strap is as long as it will go and I dunno about front spring rate and pre load yet but how does that soft shock in back translate in handling? Or how does it all jive together ? Tight in front track equals heavy skis right? Man I read to much now I can't remember what I learned lol

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Soft back shock will lift the skis more, if too soft will bottom out.
Personally I’d leave the rear and drop fronts to test. I like to change 20 lbs at a time to exaggerate the change, then dial back where I want 5 at a time until I like it.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Well you guys know iam kinda getting beat up with my lack of mountain rider skills and I actually would like to "tame" this beast. So having heaver skis might be nice cause she just wants to lift. I think my biggest problem is NO DEEP SNOW!!! Is that what you want the "lift" for? To not sink in deep snow? So you may remember my machine likes to launch like a drag bike and is so light on the skis I get nervous cause I feel like iam skating. It's fun when it's fun and it's terrifying when it's not and it causes me to let up on throttle and sink. This means softer front track shock /firmer rear will bri g front end down? And extreme example is shortening straps? Bwahaha iam a tourist fuc$-wit!! Ok how do I determine the spring h rate of my front track shock or should I care? Iam going to re set it to 1/8 inch preload as per manual? Iam going to through some money ar this machine soon because I don't like losing to machines. So I would consider a complete suspension change. Thanks!!

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Try rear 145, will push back up, front down.

Ski lift is desirable for hopping over logs, creek crossings, etc. Too much is also an issue if uncontrollable.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok iam sure you know but my shock body says 150 max. Just informing not questioning but that's basically solidish lol. I lifted it up and did it to 130 and it feels way better and I can swing the thing over on edge a bit easier with 65lbs in front. I'll try 145 too and see. thanks

C
Mar 15, 2018
Setting the sag with fox air shocks. Get someone to help and follow this video and be sure to air them up at the temp that you intend to ride. Doing it in a warm shop will be too soft in sub zero temps. It make a HUGE difference due to the VERY small air volume.

C
Mar 15, 2018
A couple suggestions for off trail riding. From a stand still, counter steer (turn your skis left to go right), stand in "wrong foot forward" and as you pull slightly on the bars, stab the throttle all the way to the bar then let off right away an stop. This will put the sled on edge easily. Di this several times until you get used to it (in both directions). When you feel comfortable putting it on edge, then try it by letting the throttle out but not all the ay and make a turn for a ways. Keep going using the distance until you can make a comfortable carve. USE THE BRAKE. Keep a finger on the brake at all times so you are ready to apply if/when needed. You WILL screw up and fall off. That is OK. Don;'t be afraid of the throttle. I see a lot of beginners "feather" the throttle because they are scared of the power. This will, cause untold amounts of frustration and failure.

Reactions: Over budget
P
Dec 15, 2018
To late!!! I've got a "flinch" allready!!! Lol! I'll do all of the above and keep on trying till it's 2nd nature. I can do it ok but alot of times I give to much throttle and it goes bad or I get scared and let off and that's almost worse lol. I'll dial in the machine for me best I can snd then practice. Going to rent some machines soon too just to see what they feel like. My blue alpha feel through so instead of crying I'll keep trying lol. I had an upside down stuck in deep snow with tight trees below me on Thursday and it was really so hard for me to get out.. I thought I was going to have to cut down a tree lol. I was so tired I couldn't believe it. Finally I just magically blasted out of there but it made me want to be much better cause it was kinda dangerous to be so stuck and far from truck yada yada! Thanks guys!

C
Mar 15, 2018
In addition to my previous post, you WANT to spin the track. This is what kicks the snow out and puts it on edge. Think of a guy wanting to do a doughnut on a motorcycle, he HAS to break traction and spin the tire to get the back of the bike to spin around. same thing with a sled.

C
Mar 15, 2018
To late!!! I've got a "flinch" allready!!! Lol! I'll do all of the above and keep on trying till it's 2nd nature. I can do it ok but alot of times I give to much throttle and it goes bad or I get scared and let off and that's almost worse lol. I'll dial in the machine for me best I can snd then practice. Going to rent some machines soon too just to see what they feel like. My blue alpha feel through so instead of crying I'll keep trying lol. I had an upside down stuck in deep snow with tight trees below me on Thursday and it was really so hard for me to get out.. I thought I was going to have to cut down a tree lol. I was so tired I couldn't believe it. Finally I just magically blasted out of there but it made me want to be much better cause it was kinda dangerous to be so stuck and far from truck yada yada! Thanks guys!
Couple thoughts, practice in low consequence areas (IE No trees or creek or anything like that below you) so when (not if) you lose control you don't get yourself in a jackpot. Also, don't ride alone. It is easy to get caught under your sled where you can not get out without help. You WILL get it if you keep trying but it takes a LOT of time in the seat.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yahaha! No way iam sending the gnar gnar brah!!! Lol! Yeah my poor wife is down on the road looking up asking herself why she's with this idiot!!! Then it's to deep for her to walk up to help. She unfortunately has shown no REAL interest in going off the trail which sucks cause it's more fun. I will say we had fresh tracks up the road and with drifts and some snow that was a real hoot to haul but on! Ok so now I gotta do math homework and next is clutch. Iam going to dumb it down till I can ride better. I just hate the all or nothing thing. I know its probably not right for performance but I'd like to enjoy it a little more than be on pins and needles waiting for it to go lol. Thanks. I'll update what changes and how I felt afttomorrow's mission. Snowing up there now so maybe it'll be on!? Thanks for the good advice!!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok so I lifted the snowmobile with my engine hoist and slowly gave gas and watched the clutch and track. Now it happens kinda fast to my eye and so I may be off a bit but it doesn't engage and turn track untill 4200 rpm? So either iam a puss and that's how it is or it could go down a bit? I dunno? What's normal for these? Guy at dealer said they where trying to overcome the engines weakness(top end?)and clutched them higher? Lol! Just making a mockery of all this technology!

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Yahaha! No way iam sending the gnar gnar brah!!! Lol! Yeah my poor wife is down on the road looking up asking herself why she's with this idiot!!! Then it's to deep for her to walk up to help. She unfortunately has shown no REAL interest in going off the trail which sucks cause it's more fun. I will say we had fresh tracks up the road and with drifts and some snow that was a real hoot to haul but on! Ok so now I gotta do math homework and next is clutch. Iam going to dumb it down till I can ride better. I just hate the all or nothing thing. I know its probably not right for performance but I'd like to enjoy it a little more than be on pins and needles waiting for it to go lol. Thanks. I'll update what changes and how I felt afttomorrow's mission. Snowing up there now so maybe it'll be on!? Thanks for the good advice!!
l think this might be your problem? (See attached pic)

l owned a 2002 Mtn Cat 600 136” (couch chassis) that had a power band curve equal to a golf cart. Best sled ever for a beginning powder rider, IMO. Maybe find someone who knows how to setup your clutch with the springs & weights for a lower rpm engagement, if that’s actually possible? IDK?

Getting on edge…go find a flat-ish field with a couple feet+ of snow, sit down on the seat (yes, sit down), go straight at a slow speed, then leaning left, gradually turn right & make a complete circle “on edge” keeping your speed consistent. Now do the same thing in the other direction. Yes, you’ll prolly fall off several times, but you’ll also see how little effort it takes to make things happen. Conquer this & then you can progress to the wrong foot forward BS. ?

D3A13345-355C-4467-ABA0-4099F013663D.jpeg

P
Dec 15, 2018
Man iam so dumb I dunno what the obviously circled information means!?? Is It some dumb clutch thing sold as a jumpy kinda thing ? I mean "rapid response" could mean that or just be a dumb name. Lol

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Man iam so dumb I dunno what the obviously circled information means!?? Is It some dumb clutch thing sold as a jumpy kinda thing ? I mean "rapid response" could mean that or just be a dumb name. Lol
IDK?

Thinking about this some more…
ls your belt missing any cogs, like maybe an inch or two worth?
ls your belt sitting just above the sheaves in the driven clutch as show in the attached pic?

If you can’t figure this out, it might be best if you just sell me this sled & be done with it? ??

9FDB7DDA-0AB5-432A-8B92-41348D628D93.jpeg

C
Mar 15, 2018
65-68 skiis
145 rts
60 fts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That sounds awfully high for a light rider. I am 250 with gear (or a bit more) and with my QS3's I run 130 rts with 150 in evol chamber and 50 in fts and it rides good set on 1 most of the time on the rts

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
That sounds awfully high for a light rider. I am 250 with gear (or a bit more) and with my QS3's I run 130 rts with 150 in evol chamber and 50 in fts and it rides good set on 1 most of the time on the rts

Yeah it might be.
But he doesnt have qs3’s.
I might be off 5-10lbs which could be really bad advice.
I had the same sled and liked about 5-8lbs more than that. So I gave a best guestimate.

Im about 210 with gear and like 65 in all on my QS3 except 140 in the rear. #1 clicker soft snow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features