• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tial wastegate control

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
What is the best way to control the tial 38 wastegate?

Running 6# of boost the turbo will spike to 8/9#, the wastegate will see the highest number and the plunger will come off the seat to far letting to much exhaust out.
It's "dumping" exhaust out instead of just bleeding it off.

What's the best way to get it to work

So if the top port on the wastegate is vented, that means you cant adjust boost levels right? My kit came with no boost controller. So I have a vac line coming from my charge tube going to the side port on my wastegate, and the top port vented. Meaning I can only run what boost level the spring is rated for correct? If I were to splice in a boost T, I would have to run a vac line from the top port, to my boost T, and T that into the vac line coming from my charge pipe to side port? Sorry, don't mean to hijack but that's good information from that pic!

One big thing I forgot to mention is the boost knob works backwards.. the knob turned all the way in is low boost relying on the spring, and each turn out it increases the boost..

Are you running a boost controller? Some mbc's (manual boost controller) are gated and can cause a boost spike before leveling off at the set boost pressure.

From the Turbo Smart install instructions:
"If boost spiking occurs and is undesirable for your application, the gate system can be removed to give you a less aggressive boost curve. This modification is only required in a minimal number of applications"

I am running a Turbo Smart with a Tial wastegate. It is hooked into the boost line, not the vent line. That is how Turbo Smart recommends installing it. I am running the lightest Tial spring, so I can run low boost and then turn it up with my mbc. When running low boost pressures (below 5-6 psi) the gate in the mbc can cause the boost pressure to be higher than desired. Even with my mbc set completely open it was raising my boost pressure from 4.5 lbs to 6-7 lbs. I had to remove the gate and now my boost is 4.5 lbs until I use my mbc to turn it up.

These instructions may help some people:

MBC install

There seems to be alot of conflicting information on spring rate.

Some say it is exhaust pressure plus your boost pressure , you should pick a spring around that.
Some have a 6psi spring and get 6psi boost...

Your running a 6psi boost spring with 9psi of back pressure, you exhaust has 3 more psi than your boost spring? Exhaust alone can push the plunger off.
Add 6psi of boost to 9 psi of back pressure you are telling the wastegate there is 15 PSI there...

Now some may say run your line to the top port, but you need back pressure for boost pressure, so the pressure in your exhaust is ahead of your intake...

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back