• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on Drilling through tunnel?

M

MTB02

Aug 2, 2009
park city, ut
Hey guys,

I haven't done this nor thought about it so if its a bad idea dont be all judgmental. Im looking for a ski rack to haul my two pair of skis into the back country and came across this site/ rack. http://x-rack.com/ Take a look at it, it shows a skidoo but I would be mounting to my 2010 assault. The installation instructions show you to drill through the tunnel on both sides to firmly attach this thing.....

Give me your thoughts, I would assume without reinforcement the tunnel would be weak at the drilled holes? All thoughts please thanks....

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Drill away per the mounting instructions. I have mounted similar items to my sleds with no issues. If you look into the tunnel, you will notice the strengthening plates and all installed by the factory in the critical areas of stress. Also, the heat exchangers are designed for tunnel strength as well. Make sure you have clearance with the mounting hardware as room is tight between the tunnel and the track. Cheers.

C

craigvansickle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 17, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
IMO That would be just fine. When you are working with aluminum it is important to round sharp edges and debur holes. Those two things are usually points where cracks start. Just like avalanches - there can be a weak spot in the snow pack that when disturbed can set off a much larger area. A couple things that come to mind on that setup:

I would keep your riding and risk taking minimal while the rack is installed. You risk damaging your skis, rack, and tunnel if you roll the sled. All that extra bulk on the back of the sled could really put a strain on the mounting points and tunnel if turned over. It looks like you could ride to an area, do some skiing, pull the rack, stash your gear and do some fun sledding.

Many of the people I ride with these days use there sleds mainly as a means to an end - skiing/snowboarding. A way to access the backcountry. Not my thing, but it looks like fun.

Looks like a usable well made unit.

Good luck!

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Go for it! While carrying your ski's I would not do anything crazy due to the extra forces placed on your tunnel from the length of the skis hanging out there.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Great idea, gotta be a reason they mounted them on ski-doos though, go up the mtn, break down, hop on skis and come home. :D Really though, I don't think I would worry too much about it unless you do some extreme jumping.

Premium Features