• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Theory on Pro oil cap/bottle.

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Sorry this is so long!
I have read most of the posts on the oil cap and would like to introduce a different theory. I do agree that the oil cap is a flawed design as mounted. It is possible for it to not vent as designed so that brings me to my theory. When you bring you sled home after a ride the underhood temps are high, the oil tank temps are high etc. We park them crack a cold one and talk about our day! So when the underhood temps start to cool and the oil tank starts to cool that creats contraction in the tank, if the oil cap is not venting while sitting still would that not create a vacuum in the oil tank? Think of the gas can filled in the heat then placed in the cold, it contracts right? The air in the oil tank and the oil both contract as they cool right? So if this indeed is happening and creating a vacuum could we be starting our sleds with a lack of oil flow immediatly? As i see it Maybe. I have read about oil bubbles in the oil lines, is it possible as the tank and oil contract that it is drawing air from the path of least resistance through the oil lines down stream in the injection system? Could the bubbles be coming from where the oil is injected in the motor? So if the tank is contracted (under vacuum) when you drive away as the pump is trying to draw oil that is creating more vacuum, it is hard for the ball to hit the stem hard enough to break the vacuum seal already created so the problem in theory would just be made worse correct? Buy the time the oil and tank heat back up to operating temp wouldnt the oil draw have created even more vacuum to try to overcome? Maybe this is just reinforcement to vent the tank/cap or buy the 14.99 alternative but i do like to quantify the possible problem before making a repair that may or may not be needed.

So im sorry if i wasted your time but the more i though about this the more this seemed possible. Thanks

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
That is the reason i spent $14..... There's an obvious flaw and I want the best for my sled.

No reason to guess or wonder if your tank is venting enough when the fix is cheap!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
While I had my bottle off my 2015 doing my vent mod, I did a vacuum test.
I applied a small amount of vacuum to the bottle, and then shook the hell out of the bottle, the cap would not relieve the vacuum.
It seems that if somehow a vacuum is created in the bottle while riding, the cap vent cannot recover. (Example, a long side hill) The vacuum will hold the polaris vented cap sealed. Your theory about bottle contraction likely follows right in line with my test.
Glad I vented my bottle!

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Why won't Polaris fix this? Seems silly to think they would let a bunch of sleds possibly burn down because of a cheap a$$ oil cap.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Why won't Polaris fix this? Seems silly to think they would let a bunch of sleds possibly burn down because of a cheap a$$ oil cap.

Key word: possibly.

All they need to do is make sure they make it out of the warranty period,then it's money out of your pocket being spent in the service/parts departments. Win-win for them.

Premium Features