• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Wolverine...interesting watch! ~Link added~

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
This is something Glacier National Park posted this week. Its a PBS documentary on wolverines. It's actually quite interesting to watch. I learned some things, laughed, but also know that this is going to be the next big thing being used against us as snowmobilers (Snow Explorers).

One male wolverine covers 500 square miles for his territory. He may also have a couple of females in that space. That's an awful lot of ground, and unless all of us humans move out of the Northern states, there is no way to get/bring back large numbers of these things. Also, if they can already be found by accident in areas that they were thought to be long gone from, there are probably a lot more of them than anyone knows. They just don't like to see people.

At any rate...I wasn't sure whether to post here or Land Use...figured it would probably get more views here. The video is 50 minutes, but worth the watch. :)

~Link~ http://video.pbs.org/video/1642358743

Last edited:
Reactions: BossRev

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
It's funny watching the video. Sure they catch them on game camera's...after people have left the area. So what if they are around....they aren't a critter that likes to show itself. Seems to me they're smart enough to hide away....so just why in the heck is there any need to close things down??? Sometimes watching these documentaries just proves the point that there doesn't need to be a protection order.

Someone spots one (and where there's one, there are always more)....then gets the mentality that the land must be shut off. I say BS! If they are surviving the way it is now, why change that? :face-icon-small-con

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Me and a buddy stumbled on a trap for one while hunting in SW Montana one year. It was pretty heavy duty for a 30lb animal. I know a guy who was hunting mountain lions in central mt and his dogs got sidetracked on a wolverine and apparently things got pretty western. I have always wanted to see one. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is of all the times I have been out sledding or hunting I have never seen a confirmed track, let alone the animal itself. I did see a set of some type of track one time really high up on the side of a mountain, but I didn't have a set of binoculars to see what kind. Looking at the video of the way they run through the snow, I bet it may have been a wolverine. I think they are really cool animals, although I don't think we need to be shutting down acres to "protect" them. Seems they are a pretty hardy creature.

Reactions: CatWoman
Premium Features