• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Ultimate 300 Build Thread - 2014

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
Forgive me if this has been posted already, but does the 300 have 19mm heater hoses or 15mm? For the Avid carb heat/thermostat setup. Thanks for all the great info mtn-doo!

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure its 19mm. Only the CR500 had a couple 15mm outlets.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, they are 19mm. Sorry guys, I have been burried the last couple weeks. This ultimate build is waiting patiently to continue and finish. I will get caught up then finish it. Some good stuff yet to come.

Reactions: slimchance
E

epicloop

Mar 21, 2011
Track porting

What are your thoughts on track porting? I noticed it on a post here and looked into it further elsewhere. It sounds like 2-1" holes just behind lugs(& only behind lugs) frees up the track for more track speed and doesn't effect flotation. it also clears out inside of track to assist in cooling. Seems like good application for snowbikes, especially to get track rolling more freely. All posts had noted noticeably more free rolling track. Hole size & location seems to be critical issue however, with incorrect hole size/location having negative effect on flotation.

Reactions: epicloop
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys,
I have an unexpected surprise development to the "Ultimate 300" build, the teaser is 60hp..... Yes, that's not a typo! An honest 60hp in an ultra quick, aggressive revving bike that's much lighter, it will be crazy good for the trees! As soon as I get caught up with dealer visits, Timbersled Rep responsibilities, and custom builds, I will finish this "little Monster". :)

Keep an eye out for some serious Timbersled "air time" this year! With support from Timbersled Products, Avid Products, American Performance Technologies, Siemens Performance and many others, I'm deep in the middle of a build for none other than Mr. Rob Alford! He will be fun to watch in the near future- I suppose most folks know Rob, If not, see him on Slednecks, Ski-Doo snowmobile advertising, or Google him. It is exciting to get these pro riders showing their amazing talent on the Timbersled Bikes, very stoked! Working late tonight..... I can't find a good way to mount these dang wings? Hummm?

Rob 4.jpg Rob 1.jpg Rob 3.jpg Rob 6.jpg

H

honkuscracker

Dec 29, 2007
Rekluse question

I am new to the rekluse clutch. i got a new take-off core exp 2.0. I upgraded the belleville sping to the 280. It sounds like i should also upgrade the springs in the friction disk to te heaviest possible? When you talk about engagement do you mess with the adjustable slave cylinder to affect "free play gain"? would you turn the 4mm allen on the slave counter clockwise a few ticks so it engages after the egine is spun up? Thanks!! btw, i am almost done with a "best all-around" inspired ktm 450/ST build. Thanks for all of your help, i just had it out for the first time and it kicked a$$!!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I am new to the rekluse clutch. i got a new take-off core exp 2.0. I upgraded the belleville sping to the 280. It sounds like i should also upgrade the springs in the friction disk to te heaviest possible? When you talk about engagement do you mess with the adjustable slave cylinder to affect "free play gain"? would you turn the 4mm allen on the slave counter clockwise a few ticks so it engages after the egine is spun up? Thanks!! btw, i am almost done with a "best all-around" inspired ktm 450/ST build. Thanks for all of your help, i just had it out for the first time and it kicked a$$!!
Rekluse has a tuning video on their sight that is very helpful. You tune by the slave cylinder.. You should be able to rev in neutral a get 1/8th inch of movement… this is something you have to keep checking over time. For me high engagement... Red springs housed in the disk.. is the only way to go for all seasons and the 280 spring is a good upgrade.. Basically they are thicker springs that give more resistants to slipping the clutch so you clutch will lock up at a higher rpm… with wheels it gives you more of a free wheel effect going down hill..

Reactions: honkuscracker

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Hey guys,
I have an unexpected surprise development to the "Ultimate 300" build, the teaser is 60hp..... Yes, that's not a typo! An honest 60hp in an ultra quick, aggressive revving bike that's much lighter, it will be crazy good for the trees! As soon as I get caught up with dealer visits, Timbersled Rep responsibilities, and custom builds, I will finish this "little Monster". :)

Keep an eye out for some serious Timbersled "air time" this year! With support from Timbersled Products, Avid Products, American Performance Technologies, Siemens Performance and many others, I'm deep in the middle of a build for none other than Mr. Rob Alford! He will be fun to watch in the near future- I suppose most folks know Rob, If not, see him on Slednecks, Ski-Doo snowmobile advertising, or Google him. It is exciting to get these pro riders showing their amazing talent on the Timbersled Bikes, very stoked! Working late tonight..... I can't find a good way to mount these dang wings? Hummm?

60HP! Please do tell! We are all anxiously waiting

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

Here is your set-up. 280 psi Belleville spring, order heavy wedges from Rekluse, install 3 blue and 3 gold exp springs. Alternate the blue and gold. Adjust freeplay gain as per Rekluse specs. Do not modify the slave cylinder throw out / free play. Set it to get approx 1/8" deflection when you rev in neutral.

The EXP springs from lightest to heaviest are, "silver", softest, then Red, then Blue, then Gold as the heaviest. Three blue and three gold is a very high engagement. All gold would be super high.

Last edited:
Reactions: honkuscracker

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
forks?

I've got a 2012 ktm 300 xcw. What would you recommend for the front forks? New springs?? Any thoughts. What is the downside to leaving them stock? I've ridden it and like it but don't have anything to compare it to. What difference will I see with stiffer shocks? Thanks

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
mtndoo....OK, its been 11 days, spill the beans! 60hp? the only thing I can figure is you bored it out. You really like makin me wait don't you!:boink:

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I am anxiously waiting too! eta was ten days. Should be any day now. A little teaser is 57hp all stock. The little 36mm carb, stock pipe, stock ecu, is 57 horse. The big gains are an appropriate sized carb, 3 or 4 hp easily. Then the performance pipes show another 3 or 4 consistently. Will be 60hp on the low side. Pics and details soon.....

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Awesome Steve! I should have the rest of this build ready to finish any day... It will finish up super nice. Some great things in store. :)

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
Yeah Randy,, you should write for the soap operas, a cliff hanger at the end of the end of every thread!

I just back from the first ride of MY ultimate 300xc. I don't have the factory contacts of Randy, so lacking a few sweet parts, but I gotta say I LOVE my little hot rod!!!! I swapped bikes with another guy, a 660 Husaberg!!! and immediately started thinking, this is a truck, I want my hot rod back. Ya gotta love to shift... keep it going FAST!...make it sing!! you gotta be aggresive with this thing or you're gonna be stuck ALOT!

Thanks Randy, Thanks Toby

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Congrats! That's good news. Yes, They are so light and narrow. Get one in the trees and they are super fun for sure. I think the ultra light feel and ease in tipping side to side may partially be the lack of gyroscopic forces with all of the motion in a four stroke. They definitely have their own feel.... Hopefully today I will be updating the thread with 60+ HP. Expecting any day....

Premium Features