• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

System for retrieving your sled

Gentlemen,
I was reading some older threads and I wanted to contribute something to a more general discussion about how to retrieve your sled up a slope. One of my skills the military has taught me is mountain rescue, and hauling a sled up a slope isn't much different, except the weight is higher. A casualty and rescuer weights around 350lbs and your sled probably has 150lbs more on that. I faced that challenge last season, and indeed the load was a beetch. But, anything's better than freezing to death so here's a very simple 5:1 system you can carry around ready to go and should do the trick. Check out the attached image. I recommend you use static climbing rope or rappel rope. The common dynamic lead ropes you see in the climbing shops are plenty strong, but they stretch up to 40% and you will lose a lot of the energy you put into it. Static line commonly comes in 11mm thickness which is much easier to handle, but if you really need to save the weight and space, you can substitute with 8mm or 9mm perlon cordage by the foot. I carry a 25 meter length. It's all more than strong enough. Also, you can add optional devices to increase efficiency, which you will appreciate when you actually have to haul. Just switch out the prussik loops with ascenders, and add small climbing pulleys to the non-locking carabiners. You should also bring something to make an anchor in case a tree isn't handy, such as a snow fluke, picket, and a shovel of course. You can improvise a deadman from a bundle of branches, or a backpack filled with snow. Just girth hitch it, bury it, and pack the snow on top. Let the snow solidify for 10 minutes. (a colleague once rappelled off a Snickers bar). A couple of pieces of 10' x 1" tubular nylon webbing to sling your sled and and anchor might be a good suggestion. Prussik loops are made from 48" lengths of nylon cordage tied with double fishermans. You can look up the knots online. I use simple double overhands, because this system doesn't need to be broken down. I just throw the whole thing in a bag as is. I you have any questions, suggestion, or comments, please add on.

5:1 hauling system.jpg

I've used this type of system with great results. Usually I will hook it to a stuck sled and anchor to another sled that is pointed down hill to pull it out.

Premium Features

Back