• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SummitX 146 mods for small beginner rider

I am a first year sledder who just bought a REV-XP SummitX 146. I have only spent one day on a snowmobile in my life before I bought this, I have two days of mellow trail rides on this thing.... 50 miles. I have however been riding quads/motocross for 8 or 10 years as well as snowboarding for 15 years, so I have some snow/ extreme sports expierience. The one day I spent on rental sleds was on 03 Arctic Cats in 3-4 ft fresh pow. I struggled greatly carving the Cats, I mean i could not get them on edge period! Keep in mind I am 5ft7in, 135-145 pound depending on gear. I bought this XP because it was the lightest mountain sled avaialable, figured it would be easier to carve/throw around. So far from dipping off of the trail a bit on my two break in rides, I am dissapointed. I am wondering what mods I can do to make this thing easeir to handle/carve in the pow, I am not very concerned with trail handling. I am willing to spend up to 2k making this sled what I want, I just want to be able to throw around the end product a little better; I no I need to learn how to ride.... that of couse will help:cool:. Thanks for the input:D.

Give it some time. I have been on snowmobiles since I was 5 months old, and have been riding them since i was 8. I am 27 now. When I was introduced to the concept of carving just a couple years ago It took awhile to get it down. I had been trail riding my whole life. You where not a pro on a snowboard the first time you went out...even if you spent a lot of time on skies... just give it some time. A few tips: I have read that you need to get your weight back on this sled to carve. You feet should be a foot or so back from the front of the running boards. I have also read that the bars should be tilted back, almost at a parallel line with the front shocks. (see my pick below). Pulling the sway-bar out will help too, just make sure you set your front shocks up to about 3. Like myself , 6ft 155 lbs, we are both light guys and don't have the weight to move this thing around like lets say a 200 lb guy. It will take some time to find the sweet spot on this sled and carve. There is a lot of finesse involved with carving. Give it some time before you pull out your wallet. Are your skies set on the narrow setting? I hope this helps.

Cheers

Shawn

SANY1676 2.JPG

following suit

like the first guy said unhook the sway bars, that will help out tremendously. also get yourself a high rise kit, this will keep you from bending over to reach the handle bars when you are standing up. the higher the bars, the easier to pull on the sled when standing. 6 to 8 inches should do you some good. and dont be afraid to tip it on its side when you are in the meadows. practice makes perfect.

Premium Features

Back