• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summit ski question

S

skidoo1970

looking for so advice on what ski to put on an 03 summit x. It has the stock ski's just wanting something better, and where to get them. thanks

MODS SKIS

I have an 01 summit X 800 and I have MODS SKIS and love them. The e-mail is modsskis.com. They are light durable and are great for side hilling and flotation on deep powder. They are also easy to install. I have had mine for 10 years and never had a problem. If you break a part it is easy to replace just that part instead of having to replace the whole ski. Although the only part I ever broke was a ski loop when I hit a rock and bent the trailing arm and tunnel. Hope this helps. If you want pics let me know.

I HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH SIMMONS THEY DONT DART ALL OVER THE PLACE....AND FLOAT IN THE POW GREAT:face-icon-small-hap

I put Pilot 6.9s on mine, like them a LOT. I had Simmons Gen2s last year, and when it was bottomless, they were great - otherwise, they really hindered sidehilling.

Rock hard or "once a year" deep, the G2s were great. Otherwise, ehhh.

The 6.9s, off an 05ish Rev, bolted right on, are WAY lighter than the Simmons, and I like them. Darting is back - the Simmons did not dart around at all, as previously noted.

I like the 6.9s pretty much all the time. I did not like the G2s MOST of the time, but the few days it was REALLY deep last season, the sled sat noticeably higher in the snow - a few inches. Makes sense, they're freaking sheets of plywood compared to anything else.

I suspect that the normal Simmons are great, and I'd not be surprised if the G3s are a happy medium, but IMHO, something with a center carbide (or just a single carbide) helps make the sled easier to roll on edge; I'd like to try Powder Pros, but I got the Pilots cheap at a swapmeet - and I have zero regrets. I put them on backwards initially, the sled was TOO tippy. Put them on "correctly" (some people like the wing on the outside - the Pilots are asymmetrical, one side has a "wing," the other side has a spot for a second runner; stock, the "wing" goes inside), the sled is really very well behaved. Almost makes me think Powder Pros would make the sled too tippy, also. Dunno. I'm done messing with skis - I hated the stock ZX skis, darty, weird feeling, ehh. The Gen2s were just too big most of the time. The 6.9s are cheap, light, and I have zero complaints, beyond darting (but I suspect the darting has more to do with single-carbide and the fact that mine are WORN badly). I can live with the darting, it only does it on groomers, and groomers are stupid:).

If I need to replace these skis, I'll put another set of Pilots on - there may be better, but these really do the trick for me; easy to sidehill/get an edge, decent float, shrug, no complaints.

X 3 for simmons. Five seasons now and still like em. They dont call them a flexi ski for nothing, i have had mine so bent up and torqued outa shape I thought they would break.

Premium Features

Back